Tiranni
Newly Registered

Bulb container gardening in MN (zone 4A)

I am very new to bulb gardening and have a very limited space that I can garden in due to the fact that I am in a townhome. I have been reading about how great bulbs are for container gardening and that you need to be extra careful about insulating the pot/container from extreme colds like we get here. I have a non-heated garage that is connected to our house- so it gets cold, but never down to the -50 degree weather outside. I was thinking about wintering them that way.

The bulbs I have are all zone 4A hardy (dutch crocus, assorted daffodils, and assorted tulips).

Has anyone tried bulb container gardening with bulbs in this climate? If so, what do you recommend to do to protect the pot from the extreme temps we get here?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tiranni

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I found some bulb I had from earlier this season and I was planning on doing what you are doing just all indoors. Hoping for something nice to grow in my office at work. All through winter I grow tomatoes and herbs and some flowers inside but I have never planted bulbs before so I am just going to experiment and see how it goes.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”