katerina 13

root in a glass of water

Hi

My friend cut off parts of a plant . put them in a glass of water .
and these taken root . then put in Container/pot with the humus and transplanted them succeeded. and these were developed.

known that the plants they put roots in water? How call these?
I want to find a big list with these type plant ( taken root in a glass of water).

katerina

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is well known that many plants will root in water, called cuttings.

It would be impossible to give a list because almost any plant can be started from a cutting if you know the right conditions to give it.

It often works better to root cuttings in potting soil instead of water. The "water roots" that plants make in water are more delicate and fragile and so transplanting it into soil can be difficult.

Take your cutting, dip it in rooting hormone powder (available at any garden store), put it in moist potting soil and then cover the pot and plant with a plastic bag or something that will hold the moisture in while still letting light to the plant.

applestar
Mod

I don't know what they are called, though it would make sense that someone has named them as a group. Here is a rough partial list:

-Most non-woody shoots of plants that are called vines will root in water, including tomatoes.
-Most mint family plants will as well, including basil.
-Another group I can think of is almost any creeping ground cover type plants' including thyme.
-I've also been successful with fuchsias using this method.
-Willow family, including semi-woody branches.

Another method that is often successful is called ground layering. I've successfully propagated woody shrubs like blueberry, rose, and rhododendron using this method (in this case, you use semi-woody shoots/branches).

Also, right now, I'm having to check every blackberry shoot that has arched over and touched the ground because they are growing roots where they touched down. I've started a new blackberry hedge using the rooted shoots. :D

katerina 13

I know three : rosemary - mint - "Ocimum basilicum" but I want a big list .
and I don't know what they are called .( I want for search to google to find more ).

Many plants do not root in a gllass of water. tried some. but these rotten

applestar
Mod

Hm. I thought I gave you a pretty big list right there.... :?

katerina 13

where ?

I did not know this :
The "water roots" that plants make in water are more delicate and fragile and so transplanting it into soil can be difficult.

good information . but my friend have 100% succeeded . and is easy. but test for only four plants. (rosemary + mint + basilicum + ? )

applestar
Mod

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166680#166680

BTW, I agree with rainbowgardener about the water started roots. It seems easier to beginners because you can see the roots, but mistake they often make is to let the brittle roots grow too long in the water.

Also, it works, but the plants are set back when they are planted in soil and while they grow soil roots, and the care they need during the interim is different from when they become established. Cuttings are often lost because of the cultural requirement changeover that takes place.

Green and semi-woody rosemary cuttings root in sandy (1/3~1/2 sand) soil mix with no need for rooting hormones. (They're pretty anti-fungal all on their own. I don't use rooting hormones containing chemical fungicides for edibles.) I have more cuttings started than I know what to do with. :roll:

katerina 13

thanks you applestar

I will use Green or semi-woody cuttings root in sandy (1/3~1/2 sand) soil mix . I will try this week for rosemary .

How call these type plant ( taken root in a glass of water) ?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

"water rooted cuttings" is how you would call them.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hi, Katerina! It's nice to have you here! :)

There is some good information about how to root cuttings in this article from Washington State University. The article also includes a fairly extensive list of plants that will start in water. Hope it helps you! :)

https://www.spokane-county.wsu.edu/spokane/eastside/Fact%20Sheets/C062%20Houseplant%20Cuttings%2009.pdf

katerina 13

Hi, Kisal . nice guide . very helpful PDF. thanks you .

I am a beginner. looking and learning.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”