jescafresca
Newly Registered

ornamental kale

I bought an ornamental kale a few months ago, and its the first plant I've ever managed to keep alive. :-() But its getting really tall (about 3 feet). :eek: I travel for a living and thought I was buying a short, bushy plant at the time. Is there a way to keep my plant from growing so tall so quickly? Or, should I just find a bigger container that won't get knocked over easily?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The size of the plant will differ, depending on the variety. The tallest I've heard of reaches 3'.

How large is the pot it's in now? I think you could transplant it into a larger pot, but you don't want one too big. For a 3' tall plant, I would probably choose a clay or ceramic container 8 or 10 inches in diameter. Clay and ceramic containers are significantly heavier than plastic. Be sure to choose one with drainage holes. I would try to find one with a broad base, such as the type sold as azalea pots and bulb pans. It will look similar to this:

[img]https://assets.newmediaretailer.com/0/316/web_535094.jpg[/img]

If you feel you need to add even more weight to the container, you can put about 2" of gravel in the bottom, before filling it with soil, although I no longer do that. A clay or ceramic container with a broad base is usually sufficient, unless your plant is exposed to winds.

I like to put a piece of non-metal screening, such as is used for window screens, in the bottom of the pot. I just cut it to fit. It helps keep soil from washing out the drainage holes and prevents insects from entering through the drainage holes.

Be sure to use a potting mix, not soil from the yard or garden. Potting mixes are designed to have the excellent drainage container-grown plants require.

And a very warm welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here! :)

jescafresca
Newly Registered

Thanks a bunch for your help! And I love the Douglas Adams quote- he's one of my favorite authors. :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”