bwhite829

What plants to grow?

Hey all, when I get married in Jan, I want to start my own container garden on my balcony. I'm in NW florida and don't know what the best plants to grow are. I want mostly Camellia sinensis(I love tea!), chamomile, and mostly plants that I can make teas out of. I also want some herbs and spices to use for fresh cooking. I know camellia sinensis takes a few years to be able to make tea, but I plan on getting a large plot once I finish nursing school and want to have alot of stuff already growing to transplant, so I'm starting earlier. I've been on the extension on UF's site, but I didn't see anything showing what grows best in my region. Thanks for the help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You might find this previous thread of interest regarding plants for teas:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128179

bwhite829

Thanks Kisal. So far you, as well as so many others around here have been very helpful to quickly answer my newbie questions!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

We're happy to help! Before you know it, you'll be an "old hand" and be able to offer help to new members just getting started. :)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Congratulations on the upcoming celebration! While this is not necessarily tea related, I thought I would let you know that you live very close to Erinon Nursery in mid-Florida (Plymouth, FLA). It is a very well known camellia nursery operated by Jerry Conrad. He has a large large large inventory of camellias for sale (mail order too). Since we are in the middle of camellia blooming season, stop by to see what blooming!

You can also stop by the Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando, which should be decked out with Christmas Decorations by now. It has the 3rd largest collection of camellias in the US.

Useful tea links:

https://www.camelliashop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

https://www.camelliashop.com/ProductDet ... e=COL-TEA6

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

In case you actually have time for a trip to Georgia's Massee Lane Gardens, the headquarters of the American Camellia Society is having a sale of camellias for those who can go there. I saw these tea plants on the extensive camellia list:

TEA SELECTIONS: CAMELLIA SINENSIS 3 gallon, various prices

Camellia sinensis 'Gold Splash' (gold splashed small leaves) $26.00 2

Camellia sinensis 'O'Kuntze' (gold splashed large leaves) $27.00 3

Camellia sinensis 'Rosea' (pink flowered) $26.00 2

Camellia sinensis 'Silver Dust' (frosted white) $27.00 5

Camellia sinensis 'Tea Breeze'$26.00 5

Camellia sinensis 'Unryu' ("corkscrew" stems) $27.00 each 2

Their address is ACS at 100 Massee Lane, Fort Valley, GA. For more information, you can contact Celeste Richard at the ACS at (877) 422-6355, (478) 967-2358, (478) 967-2083 Fax

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”