bdgood
Newly Registered

Glass domes?

I am building a raised bed 3' x 5' and am wondering what kind of glass or plexiglass domes exist. I've done an internet search and haven't found anything...or some other way to make it a greenhouse easily.

Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Easy thing to do is just put plastic over hoops. You can make your hoops out of PVC or other material. I use the wire frames that political yard signs come on. I use the heaviest weight of clear plastic painter's drop cloth.

Then you just need to weight it down at the bottom or use "earth staples."

Probably not as insulating as glass, but if you want to make it more insulating you could use two layers with some kind of spacer between to make an air gap.

This will not keep tender plants alive in hard frosts, but then neither will a glass greenhouse, unless it is heated, but it will maintain cold hardy stuff longer. You do have to watch out if you get some warm sunny days, to open up some ventilation or you can fry your plants in the daytime.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The search term you might be looking for is "cloche."

These are the glass bell-shaped jars used by the intensive gardeners in France, late 19th century, to extend their season and generate multiple harvests over the course of the year to supply Paris markets.

Many much less expensive methods have been developed, as Rainbowgardener has suggested, but "cloche" will get you started, both on the Net and here at the Forum.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

ACW

Cloches ,are very useful for mini green housing and frost alleviation.
I use a number of clear plastic water bottles ,sizes vary depending on what I can find chop of the bottom and you are good too go .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And the milk jug cloche inside the hoop/plastic gives you that double layer of protection.... But only works for small plants.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”