wasacountrygirl
Newly Registered

June Bearing Strawberries in Pots

Does anyone have any tips for growing June bearing strawberries in a pot? Shortly after we brought them home we enjoyed a (very) small crop of berries. The plants are growing beautiful, with gorgeous big leaves and new growth almost every day, but no more blooms. I'm not sure if they're done blooming until next year, or if (because I live in Southern California) they will rebloom. ??? Do I need to do some turning under and mulching as I would expect to do in the midwest? Or do I let them just do their thing? What fertilizer might be good for them? How do I help them have the best flavor and the longest life? My biggest wonder is if these plants are just done fruiting and I would need to replant instead of waiting for these to bloom again?

Lots of questions, I know... I have no idea what I'm doing with strawberries in pots! :D I just thought I'd give it a try, and now I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks for ANY tips you've got! :)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Wasacountrygirl,

Here you go.
https://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_2_202/ai_53697950

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would just use organic fertilizers. Apparently you can get the usual NPK values in organic form now but, I stick with these three organic fertilizers (store bought):

Liquid Seaweed
Liquid Fish
Kelp Meal

Compost also works well as well as composted manure.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”