adriendelachicago
Newly Registered

African Violets Will Not Bloom. :(

Hey there. Was wondering if someone can help me out. I purchased a bunch of African Violets from Home Depot. They were all blooming. I transplanted them into containers of equal size. I planted them in glass containers so I can see that the roots are now slightly pot bound. I read that African Violets like this. I also give them a constant feeding fertilizer regimen every time I water them. I use Miracle Gro Bloom Booster Flower Food 15-30-15. I have about ten of these African Violets and only two of them bloomed. The rest are not blooming. And I saw that one tried to bloom but then the buds died before they took off. I am wondering if these were only meant to bloom once.

They are receiving southern exposure light. They are about one foot away from the direct sunlight. So they are getting quite a bit of light. I live in a studio so I only have south facing light. The leaves look amazing. They look very strong but I would like some flowers! :lol:

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Patience!
As long as the leaves are looking good, just wait.
Seems to me, that mine bloom best when they are just a little bit dry.
I don't feed mine with every single watering, and I have African Violet plantfood. I only feed about once a month.

In the vegetable garden, too much nitrogen, and too little phosphorous and potassium and you get all vegetation and little fruiting.

Mine are in a western window, right on the window sill, so they get alot of sun, just before it sets. Mine bloom three or four times a year, and are so loaded, that it almost kills itself each time, I have to nurse it back to health each time!

adriendelachicago
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on how to feed African Violets and I read somewhere that a half diluted strength of the fertilizer that I am using was the best route to go every time I water.

I use it with other plants like my crown of thorns. They keep giving me flowers.

I also read that Gloxinias are pretty much engineered to be throw away plants and that they flower just once and that is it. I thought this was the case too. Because I read that one of the tell tale signs is that if the buds die before they bloom then this means that the plant is exhausted and will not bloom again. I bought my Gloxinias at Home Depot and returned them. Since African Violets are related to Gloxinias I was wondering if they same "throw away" concept was happening.

I was pretty sure that some people I know have their African Violets in bloom all the time. Not just a few times a year.

adriendelachicago
Newly Registered

I also read that sprinkling Epsom Salts on the soil surface is supposed to help. Something about when watering the magnesium helps make the African Violets bloom. Does anyone know what ratios to follow and how often one should do reapply the Epsom Salts?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I moved mine to a west window that is protected by the roof of my porch. There is a clear east window about 12 feet way, so they get the early morning sun and the late evening sun. They've been blooming constantly since I moved them there last winter.

Prior to that, I couldn't get seem to get them to bloom no matter what I did. :(

adriendelachicago
Newly Registered

Awh, man! I only have a south facing window. Maybe it looks like I will not be able to get them to bloom.

Well, since I bought them at Home Depot I can return them as I kept the receipt. :cry:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My grandmother, kept her African Violet collection on her nightstand, and kept a lamp on it, they bloomed constantly.
So, before you give up on them, try adding your own light!

shadowsmom

adriendelachicago wrote:Awh, man! I only have a south facing window. Maybe it looks like I will not be able to get them to bloom.

Well, since I bought them at Home Depot I can return them as I kept the receipt. :cry:
Mine face south but are about 3 feet away from the window. I've done the pinch of Epsom salts in their water when they have not bloomed for 6 months or so. I don't actually water mine - they are in the violet pots that sit in water and the pot they are actually in just absorbs water in as needed. I find these work for me; I fill'em up and forget about it for at least 2 weeks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

African violets seem to do better for me if I allow them to dry a bit between waterings.

A south window should be fine, if you move the plants far enough back so they don't suffer from the heat. Or, you can hang a sheer or lace curtain at the window to soften the intensity of the light. :)

verticalstyle
Newly Registered

I have a violet on one of my desks at work. It has been there for years. It only gets indirect sunlight and since we are closed on the weekends it is in mostly dark every sat and sun. I feed it violet food about once a month and only water every week or so when I think about it. It never bloomed until this year and now it is going crazy. Our clients love it! Get compliments all the time. I even water from the top but am careful not to wet the leaves. Patience is a good thing sometimes.

applestar
Mod

I don't know if the OP's coming back but I guess I'll just add my two cents. :D

From what she said, she repotted them into glass containers, which suggests to me that they have no drainage. African Violets are very sensitive to root rot from overwatering. Sometimes the rosette of leaves hang on while the root (which in normal state is a single fat taproot with side roots) rots away until one day, the entire rosette falls off. She also didn't mention what kind of potting soil she used.

1/2 strength chemical food, even those sold specifically for African violets is too strong in my opinion if used at every watering. 1/4 strength, maybe. Especially in a container with no drainage, there would have been a buildup of fertilizer salts.

She also didn't say how often she was watering, but as several people commented, African violets do better when allowed to dry somewhat between waterings. In fact, they are extremely drought tolerant and easy for beginners who tend to forget to water. 8)

After flowering, they should be allowed to rest for at least a month. Newly purchased plants are usually either IN full bloom or has JUST FINISHED full bloom, so it makes sense that hers needed some rest. During the rest period, they should be watered a little less and only with plain water, preferably filtered or de-chlorinated (I.e. tap water left in open container for 24+ hours to de-gass), or, if you can manage it, with rain water.

Light exposure was explained/elaborated by other members and I agree so I won't belabor the point. :wink:

milifestyle

A ball of wire (Chicken wire or similar) scrunched to look like a tennis ball can be wrapped in a piece of cloth and placed in the centre of a terrarium or glass planter before adding soil... this will aid in drainage. Terrariums will usually self water but a sprinkle will suffice if its dry, especially if using a drainage ball...

erlyberd
Cool Member

AV's need a few criteria to bloom. My first suggestion would be to visit the african violet society of america website for all the information you'll ever need to grow award winning av's.

A south window exposure is perfect if you block the glass panes with wax paper or something simalr to create that bright, diffused lighting the plants need.

Normally when an av does'nt bloom its normally, lack of light, fert. Pot size is important as well.

Dr. Optimara is a good site for diagnosis of problems. Also Rachels Reflections is a good site for basic av care, propagation, repotting etc.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I bought several "marked down" African Violets. They looked terrible.

:oops: I haven't repotted them, nor fertilized them, once in a great while I water them, and they bloom like crazy. Even the damaged cheap ones are getting huge and will soon start blooming.

I find the better that I am to them, the faster I kill them. So, I neglect them, and just water them, when the cactus gets watered.

And from spring till fall, I get a wonderful show of blooms... and I do fertilize them then.

They are growing at the moment, not blooming.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ozark Lady wrote:I find the better that I am to them, the faster I kill them. So, I neglect them, and just water them, when the cactus gets watered.
I have discovered the identical truism! :lol:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”