Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

What kind of Pot is the best to use? Ceramic, plastic, clay?

I want to transplant a couple of plants, and my hibiscus "lorax" :D But I'm not sure what kind of pots are best? If this is in the Wrong section, could mods please move it? I didn't know where to post this. Thanks in advance.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

During my Master Gardener training, this same question came up one day in class. For various reasons that I can't remember, plastic was the container of choice....

EG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There is a consensus here among many that plastic pots are good for potting up seedlings to, say, 4-inch size. Beyond that, I haven't noticed much consensus.

Advantages cited for plastic pots: re-use, can be had for free if you know where to look, washable in case of soil/plant disease.

Disadvantages of plastic pots: crack and break easily.

I use whatever I've collected that's of the size I want. I have some very large 5-gallon plastic pots and a few 1-gallon plastic pots, but most of my large ones are terra cotta. I have no glazed ceramic pots; if I'm not using plastic, I want my plant to breathe. I use plastic because of its weight (I have a knee in need of replacement), period.

Over time, I've also used wooden half barrels, wooden boxes and of course am now using raised beds, which are a sort of "wooden box"--they just have no bottom. And one raised bed is made from cinder blocks.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”