jsmom
Newly Registered

stargazer lily

I just received a stargazer lily in a pot. I read somewhere that I should cut the flower when it stops blooming and part of the stem attached to it. Then when fall comes, I should trim the main stem to about 3 inches.
I would like to keep it indoors as I live in an apartment and cannot plant it outdoors. My question is, is it possible to grow this plant indoors and what do I have to do to it during the winter. Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is not easy to grow indoors, but should be possible if you can try to replicate some of the natural conditions. Once it blooms and dies back (as long as the leaves are green, do not cut them back, they are feeding the bulb), it is getting ready to rest for the winter. It needs a cold dormant period to restore and prepare the bulb for the next season. Once the leaves have all turned brown or fallen off, cut it down as you said. At that point, you need to put the pot with the bulb in the refrigerator (you could put bulb and soil in a plastic bag so it takes less room). Keep it just slightly damp. You don't want the bulb to dry out, but you don't want it to mold or rot either. It needs to stay in the frig for a couple months. Then you can bring it out and pot it up and start over.

microcollie
Green Thumb

When I lived in Brooklyn many moons ago, I used to put anything that needed winter dormancy out on the fire escape or the roof. Any chance you can do that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps if you can do that in late fall/ early winter when you are having temps in the range of your frig, ie lows around 35. In the ground, Stargazer lilies are hardy down to zone 4, which is considerably colder than that. But in a pot, they freeze much more solidly and go through a lot more freeze thaw cycles, so it's a lot tougher on them. Maybe it would make it to go through a winter that way, but maybe not. But you could probably do it for 8 wks before the worst of winter sets in.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”