Nariko

Quick, Strong and Pretty

Hi,

I have just started a container garden a few weeks ago. I am wanting to grow something (August in Phoenix, Arizona) that will grow quickly and can be propagated easily. I already have peppermint, chocolate mint and oregano which I believe grows quickly. Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you talking about from seed? It seems late in the season for that, though I know your season lasts a lot longer than mine does. You might want to check nurseries for plants.

Otherwise wait and start some seeds in Jan for planting in early spring.

Here's some suggestions of native perennials that are all tough and adaptable and I think pretty (some of that is in the eye of the beholder :) ) . They are all ones that should do fine in containers and will spread pretty quickly for division. Perennials don't necessarily bloom their first season though. Anyway my top picks:

butterfly weed/ milkweed, penstemon (lots of different species/ varieties), sundrops/ evening primrose, gaillardia/ blanket flower, bee balm, purple sage, lavender (I think not native, but still very adaptable for your climate)

These are all ones that like a lot of sun... you didn't say what sun exposure you were thinking about.

Nariko

Thanks! I'll look into that. Mostly partial sun, I'm wanting to start a beautification project on the patio.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”