Nariko

Mint and Chocolate Mint

Hi,

I bought two herbs chocolate mint and peppermint a few days ago. I live in Phoenix and the herbs were outside at the nursery and I placed them outside at my house (full sun) and they wilted. I have since moved them to partial shade.

What is the best way to get them healthy again? Also, how much can I water them without overwatering?

I am new to gardening and am learning as I go along, but don't want to lose these beautifully scented mints. Any help is greatly apppreciated!

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They should do okay in partial shade. As long as the pots have drainage holes in the bottom, you can water the plants every day. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Once established mint is pretty tough and will take a lot of punishment. But it really likes a bit of shade (especially in a place like phoenix!) and plenty of water. When I was a kid we had mint planted next to the house where the hose was. It was shaded by the house and the the hose tended to drip all the time and the mint loved it! Went crazy there.

Nariko

Right now I have them on the kitchen table near a bay window east facing. Do you think that is considered partial shade, or should they be on the back patio? I wasn't sure if maybe the heat was part of the problem as well. Is it okay to keep them inside until they start to look better, or is outside best? Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, the plants would do better outdoors in partial shade. Mint can be grown indoors, but if you ever want to move it outside again, you will have to harden it off first, to get it acclimated. Indoors, it will tend to produce thin, weak growth, due to lack of light.

It's possible that the nursery had a misting system, to keep the humidity higher around the plants. you can do the same by spraying the leaves with a water bottle when the plants aren't in full sun. It can also help to hose down the patio, if that's where your plants will be. The evaporation of the water will raise the humidity around the plants.

Nariko

Thanks so much! And the mint says thanks too! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”