Franco

Hoya (wax?) plant

My mom asked me to find information on her Hoya plant because it hasn't bloomed in years. It has dark green leaves with white spots. Does anyobody know what could have caused this?

Scented Nectar

That sounds like my favourite Hoya, H.pubicalyx. They stop flowering for a couple of reasons. One is being in too big a pot. You have to wait years for the root to become rootbound enough for the plant to flower. Another reason might be the mistake a lot of people make in removing the 'spur' or whatever it's called that the flowers grow from. The plant re-uses these spurs for the new flowers each year.

I made 2 webpages on this hoya. This one is my personal page on it:
[url]https://www.scentednectar.com/garden/hoya-1.htm[/url]

And this one is a collection of info I found from all over the place:
[url]https://www.scentednectar.com/garden/hoya.htm[/url]

Franco

Thanks a lot, I told my mom and she said she had cut those off when they grew :o so we'll wait and see what happens.

Scented Nectar

It's easy to mistake them for a dead stem of some sort. I'm going to have to wait years for my hoya to bloom (it's just a cutting, not rootbound yet).

Greendreams
Newly Registered

Why not repot in a smaller pot? These plants are very forgiving in that respect. And I absolutely agree that a potbound condition seems to stimulate flowering. And er . . . . how is the law out there? Can you swap cuttings with Europe?

Rolf from a rainy THe Hague, Holland

Scented Nectar

Greendreams wrote:Why not repot in a smaller pot? These plants are very forgiving in that respect. And I absolutely agree that a potbound condition seems to stimulate flowering. And er . . . . how is the law out there? Can you swap cuttings with Europe?

Rolf from a rainy THe Hague, Holland
I've got them in their final size pot (6 or 8 inches dia at top), because they will be twining around the trellis-stand they're on, and I don't want to have to repot in the future. It would be too difficult. I can wait though. It will only be a few more years until it starts flowering regularly.

I'm in Canada. I don't know what the laws are for sending unrooted cuttings, or for importing into Holland. They probably wouldn't need a phyto certificate since the cuttings are best sent without soil. In a few years, when the plant fills out some more, I'll be able to share cuttings. I sent some Murraya koenigii seeds to someone in England once, labeling them houseplant seeds. Looking back on it though, since I sent them still inside their berries, maybe I should have got some sort of permit.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”