Plantasia
Newly Registered

Money tree problems

Hi there,
I bought a money tree about 8 months ago and it started to slowly die on me. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong; all but one of the 4 original twisted trunks have rotted away. All three trunks died the same way -- they start to become very soft and you can easily peel off the bark - does anyone know what this is? My only surviving trunk is having a different issue; the top of the trunk is becoming very dry. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with money trees that they can share?

Please help:)

P

microcollie
Green Thumb

I'm guessing that what you have is pachira macrocarpa...money plant can mean different thing to different people. (I can think of at least three plants with the same common name). Since you said yours has "twisted" trunks, I'm making an assumption. They like moist, very well-drained soil, strong sun, and are fairly heavy feeders, so your fertilizer of choice a few times a year. A mix of compost, soil, and sharp sand would do nicely. They often suffer root rot because there's a fine line between moist and damp soil. The soft, mushy trunk sounds like rot to me.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”