BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Yes I believe this to be true. I'm not saying that if you water your orchids at night you "will" have problems though. Watering plants at night just heightens the odds of you ending up with bacteria or even root rot because dark wet places is where things like that feed. If you water your plant in the morning then there is of course daylight that fends off this bacteria and sun which will help dry the soil to prevent root rot and will allow for the soil to dry before nightfall :) I "always" try to water my plants in the morning. I only water them at night if I must. I hope this helps a bit and gives you more insight as to why people say its "better" to water plants in the morning. G'luck :D

applestar
Mod

It rains at night....

applestar
Mod

What kinds of orchids do you have? Do you keep them indoors all year? Your questions sound like you have them outside?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I figured most Orchids are kept inside or in a greenhouse... and true it does rain at night but not every single night and I'm sure the rain effects potted plants differently then those planted in the earth. Plus who is to say that those planted in the earth don't get disease or bacteria from it raining at night because I'm sure they do especially if it rained every single night ( which it may in some places ), I was just saying its probably better for the plant as a whole to water it in early morning vs at night because plants stop growing, transpiring, and making food when there's no sun... so they don't use the water you give at night ... just a thought :wink: :D

lilturtle
Cool Member

I would think a good thirsty plant will indeed use the water you give at night even if it is dark..the roots will still absorb water so will the leaves.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

They will absorb it but it won't be "used" most of the water that you give to a plant at night will go to waste. they don't take UP water until the sun comes out.... if the water you give at night drains away, it's gone.... and they actually get very little of it....

Its really up to your personal preference when to water your plants... I personally prefer to water them in the morning. Some have no other choice then to water them at night.
Last edited by BewilderedGreenyO.o on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilturtle
Cool Member

hmm, well I have to disagree but that is ok.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Hehe! You don't have to agree with me lilturtle :P :wink: I am simply answering the question to the best of my knowledge through research and how I personally do it.

I have however read around that the worst time of day to water your plants is in the afternoon :) due to the high evaporation rate. Hope this helps!

Orchids are gorgeous I wish you the best with yours gardeningreviews.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I would like to make the following point that many locations on earth, especially where tropical orchids are found, it rains during the day. It is also important to know what kind of orchid you are dealing with. With my Phalaenopsis, I've found that they don't care what kind of water they get and don't care when. However, I would also like to make the statement that many orchids have special roots that act like sponges, taking in water whenever and storing it to be processed during daylight hours. Therefore, I don't think it matter so much when you water the orchids.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”