Imperfect Ending
Newly Registered

Plumeria care : Sunlight : ( can't decide on a location )

I have 2 locations where I can put my plumeria plant but I can't decide....

Spot A : Gets full, direct, beaming [ Southern California ] sunlight from 1pm - 5pm ( Summer ) and a wall just blocks out the sun for the rest of the day.

Spot B : Gets, for the most part, full sun light from 1:30 - 5pm and slight shade from 5 - 7pm ( Summer ) But there are many trees growing and fences around it that will cause some shade especially after 5pm when the sun goes behind trees ( not SOOOOO strong of a shade, but it's still noticeable since the leaves on the plumeria is very broad.

So to sum the confusing question up

A: 1 - 5pm of 100% direct sun or B: 1:30 - 7pm of 75% sun and 50% after 5pm

Would it make a big difference with the locations I choose?

Thank you

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! :)

Plumeria need at least 6 hours of full sun every day, in order to bloom the best. They will live and grow in less than that, but probably won't bloom as well. I would probably choose the site that provides the most sunlight for the plant. :)

Imperfect Ending
Newly Registered

Thank you for the welcome :D

-I'm trying to but I can't decide what would be best...

5 hours of 100% sunlight or 5 hours of 75%-then 2hours of 50%.

In summer it remains about 95+ degrees everyday around here so I don't know if the heat will help.

Imperfect Ending
Newly Registered

( Oh and Location 'A' has many succulents growing and flowering. Does this mean that it should be great for my Plumeria to be placed there? )

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would go with the 5 hours of full sun, although your earlier description is "sunlight from 1pm - 5pm," which is only 4 hours. That doesn't meet the plant's requirement of full sun, which is defined as 6 hours of direct sunlight. It would probably work okay, though, and you might even get some flowers.

IMO, a shorter period of full sun would be better than an extended period of part sun/part shade. I think the plant would have a hard time producing any flowers in your Site B.

Imperfect Ending
Newly Registered

Lol sorry my math is way off ( unfortunately )

Imperfect Ending
Newly Registered

Well the thing is I have succulents flowering at the 'A' location.
I read that if succulents are doing fine there then a Plumeria should too.
Is this sound good or...

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Put it in "spot A" :D Unless you can possibly find a spot that will allow it to have a total of 6 hours of direct sun... no less. I am raising baby Plumerias right now and cant wait til' they get older :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”