vtown05

Termites in my containers!

There are termites in my potted pepper plants. I've read somewhere that they are actually good to have in there because the break down material into soil and created channels throughout the soil for water and oxygen to get to the roots. Is this true? Should I just let them be?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Your pepper plants are in wooden planters? Where do the termites seem to call "home"?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I disagree with the idea that termites, or anything else, that creates channels in the soil of a potted plant is doing anything good for the plant. Channels in the soil only allow the water you provide to run right through and out the drainage hole, before the plant's roots can absorb any of it.

According to this article, young colonies of Formosan termites are often found in potted plants.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg064

vtown05

The planters are plastic but there is a little wood mulch mixed in the soil so I'm guessing that is what they are feeding on. Is there any way to get rid of them?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Rather than take guesses at this distance, after reading the article Kisal referenced, there's more than just "a possibility" that these are Formosan termites.

Call a professional or take a specimen, as directed in the article, *to* a professional and have them identified. Ask said professional for the best way to protect not only your garden but your house, garage, fence, and any other wood-containing structures.

Cynthia

vtown05

cynthia_h wrote:Rather than take guesses at this distance, after reading the article Kisal referenced, there's more than just "a possibility" that these are Formosan termites.

Call a professional or take a specimen, as directed in the article, *to* a professional and have them identified. Ask said professional for the best way to protect not only your garden but your house, garage, fence, and any other wood-containing structures.

Cynthia
You're right they were frosoman termites but one day they just up and left. I don't know if the containers got too hot for them and they went further underground or it was the coffee grounds I sprinkled on the patio to get rid of the fire ants (which worked really well for the ants). All I know is they are gone and I'm happy.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Let's just hope that they haven't found a more comfortable home on your property. They can be really destructive and expensive. They are one of the very few pests that I have no qualms about killing. If I were you, I might still call a professional to have a look.

vtown05

I live in apartment managed by a very lazy management staff. I've told them about pests and repairs before and nothing will budge them so I just sort of let things go. They can move me into another building when this one falls down if they want to be lazy about it. ha

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”