BioSymmetry
Newly Registered

How To Soil Loss fr Container Veggies

Do I really need to include window screen mesh, above the rocks at the bottom of veggie containers, to prevent soil from seeping out of the drainage holes?

In general, what else to I need to think about at the bottom of my veggie containers? I'm growing a couple inderterminate cherry tomato plants, green peppers and some herbs on a west facing balcony.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Newt
Greener Thumb

I don't always put in screening or anything sometimes and the soil doesn't wash out for me. I don't think you need to worry about it.

I would suggest you use an organic fertilizer like fish emulsion or a mix with seaweed. Check the bag of potting soil to see if it already comes with fertilizer in it. Many do these days.

Newt

BioSymmetry
Newly Registered

Thanks for the information Newt. I managed to find some old window screens that I could recycle so I went ahead and included the screen in the containers.

What else would work to stop/minimize soil loss in a similar situtation? I've read that coffee maker filters are sometimes used, but I don't drink coffee and so I have no filters kicking around. I'd be really interested in alternatives (to the screen) that I can scrounge or re-use.

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! I've used bits of broken pots, small stones from the garden, used dryer sheets - unscented as well as the coffee filters and old screen and landscape fabric. If the hole is not especially large, I find that the soil compresses enough that I don't bother with anything in the bottom of the pot. :)

Newt

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”