tulsanurse1
Newly Registered

Two healthy growing tomato plants but no flowers on them?

This is my first year gardening. I have two tomato plants that have gotten at least 18-24" high but there are no flowers yet. Is this okay. The plants look very healthy,

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

It might be possible that you applied too much nitrogen to the plant, but you'll find out soon enough. Excessive nitrogen before fruitset causes great plant growth - but no tomatoes. :-(

EG

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you fertilize them? If you do, and you use a fertilizer that's high in nitrogen, you will get lovely tomato plants but few or no tomatoes. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It may just be early yet. Some tomato plants do set flowers by that size, but remember this is a plant that is going to be 6' tall (or more if you don't trim it!).

What have the temperatures been like where you are?

tulsanurse1
Newly Registered

Temperatures have fluctuated b/w 60-75 degrees. My potting mix is miracle growing potting mix, bone meal, blood meal, pine bark, mushroom compost and a little manure. The only fertilizer Ive given them is "Bill's Perfect Fertilizer". It's the type that is sprayed on the leaves.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Since the bloodmeal, manure, and mushroom compost all have differing quantities of Nitrogen, it's difficult to say what the overall N value would be that is absorbed by the roots of the plant. However, since you're also using a foliar spray, I feel too much nitrogen has been applied. JMHO

EG

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree with EG. Miracle Grow potting soil also has fertilizer already in it, so your tomatoes are probably getting quite a lot of nitrogen. I would suggest that you discontinue the foliar spray.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”