Schldhd

Umbrella Tree

I have a huge Schfflera, it stands six feet tall in the largest container I can find. My question, although it has always been kept out side on a shaded deck, does anyone know if it can take any direct sun?

I have had it a very long time and really don't want to take any chance with burning it. Anyone have any experience with Unbrella's in the sun?

Texas Gardener

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Why change something that isn't broken since it could come back to haunt you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't give it more than 2 or 3 hours of early morning sun at this point. They can do fine in full sun, and if planted in the ground, can grow to be 40' tall trees. They also are considered to be invasive, seeding themselves prolifically and taking over the ground with their roots. They are on the Don't Plant list for southern Florida.

Is there a reason why you need to move yours? Is it just too large for its location? Don't move it into full sun all at once. You'll have to start with a more open shaded area, and every 2 or 3 days, move it to a spot where it's exposed to the sun for a few more minutes.

Schldhd

Kisal, thank you for your input. I just built a new deck and there is a spot that is calling for a tall plant. Inasmuch as I have this one I thought I might gradually move it out to the deck.

Maybe I will just let well enough alone and buy a queen palm for the area.....

Thanks again.

19ashe86

[img]https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs516.snc3/27102_10150179512680227_738360226_12110172_4420334_n.jpg[/img]

any tips for my little umbrella??

I'm looking to get it to fill in grow up and just get bigger in general..

Schldhd

Roger, I found with my Umbrella plant that as I increased the size of the pot the bigger it got.

It has never seen the inside of a building, and never been in direct sunshine only dappled sun. Of course that is easy to do (keep it outside) in the Houston area. On the occasions when we had "cold" weather it was covered with a sheet.

And, I feed it twice a month with a light 10-10-10. Hope this info helps.

:D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”