shuttergirl
Newly Registered

Containers - plastic inserts, holes, pebbles?

I've never been very successful at growing things but am learning a lot about things I have done wrong. I want to be sure that I get the details right so that I get off to a good start this year.

I have containers with the plastic inserts that I will be placing on my deck. There is no hole in the bottom, just the raised insert for drainage. Should I drill holes in the bottom, and if so how many and what size? And with the plastic insert, do I still need the pebbles?

Thanks. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could do it a couple of different ways, depending on the size of the containers. Are they plastic or ceramic, and how large are they? :)

shuttergirl
Newly Registered

They are plastic and 20 inches wide. I'm not sure of the gallon size yet. They were the largest ones I saw at Lowes.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If they're just flat-bottomed containers, I think I would drill some drainage holes. I'd probably use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch bit in my drill. For a container 20" across, I'd probably drill at least 8 or 10 holes, but probably more. I'd arrange them in concentric circles on the bottom of the container. If you happen to have a hole saw for your drill, that cuts a 1" hole, you could get away with 4 or 5 holes.

I don't use gravel or pottery shards in the bottoms of my containers, but many people do. What do you plan to plant, or have you decided yet? The gravel/pottery in the bottom can help improve drainage, certainly, especially in large containers like yours, but I don't think it's necessarily essential. You definitely will want to cover the inside of the bottom of the pot with something, however, to prevent the soil from running out of the holes and insects from entering. I just use non-metal screen fabric ... the stuff used for window and door screens. Landscape fabric works equally well.

If the containers are absolutely flat on the bottom, it's a good idea to set them on some bricks. Three bricks or lengths of wood arranged in a triangle shape -- they don't have to touch end-to-end, but should match the circumference of the pot bottom -- make a stable support. This allows the water to drain out of the pot more easily.

I hope this helps some. :)

shuttergirl
Newly Registered

That does help. I'm glad you added the part about the bricks. I was also worried that if I did the holes that the water on the deck would become an issue, but I am thinking that would help with it drying out some in between waterings?

I know I have read somewhere that the holes are not necessary if you have the drainage insert, but I am thinking you are probably right, especially with my track record until I can get the watering thing down. Of course, lack of water is usually more my problem.

The landscape cloth was a great idea. I didn't even think about bugs coming in through the holes.

Thanks. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

One problem with the drainage inserts -- in my experience, anyway -- is that if you don't provide enough water, the roots will grow down into the reservoir. Then when you do provide plenty of water, they get drowned. It's impossible to tell how much water is in the reservoir, unless there's a tube or some other means to measure it. I have seen very expensive self-watering containers that have such a tube built in, usually at a corner.

I find it easier just to use regular containers. The one exception might be if I were in need of a very large container for indoor use. I wouldn't be able to move it to water properly, and I wouldn't want my floors damaged. (BT, DT! :roll: )

shuttergirl
Newly Registered

I didn't even think about that happening, but it makes sense. I wonder if you put landscape fabric down above the insert for the ones you had inside if that would keep the roots from going below the insert? But then I wonder about that water just sitting there with the inserts and if that is a bad thing.

shuttergirl
Newly Registered

Oops...forgot to answer your earlier question. I have the following plants on my deck ready to plant:
banana peppers
green peppers
okra
yellow squash
zucchini squash
cucumbers
tomatoes

Wow, that is a pretty ambitious list for someone who has no idea what they are doing. lol

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”