supagirl277

How do you water from underneath?

I have no idea how to water from underneath. Most of my herb seeds need to stay moist but not wet, so I can't water from above and drown them. How do I do it on outside containers?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Place the containers in a tray, and pour water into the tray, bottom water. Just make sure that all of the water gets absored in a couple of hours as you don't want the pots to stay for an extended time sitting in water and getting soggy.

supagirl277

oh! so the soil stays moist still. when they get roots, is that the way to go also?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I bottom water most of my seedlings. When watering from above, I try to generally keep the water from directly hitting the top growth of the plant. If you wish, you could bottom water any container plant for as long as it stay in the container and had a bottom tray.

supagirl277

very helpful, thanks :) so I guess that means I should start from a smaller pot for my mint so I don't have to try and keep too much soil moist.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Potted plants generally prefer to not have too much soil. It is much better to start in a small pot and pot up as the plant gets larger and fills the container with roots. A small plant in a large pot will be much more susceptible to root rot.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supagirl277

wow, you should see some of my other posts, you seems to know a whole lot!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”