HELP Lemon Lime Madagascar Dragon Tree

WHATS WRONG WITH MY TREE???

[img]https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/19ashe86/100_1930.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/19ashe86/100_1933.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/19ashe86/100_1934.jpg[/img]

too much water? not enough light??

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It could be either too much or not enough water. You don't say how heavily or how often you water the plant.

I doubt it's a light problem, unless you suddenly decided to move the plant into full outdoor sun all day long. I don't think you would do that. :)

It kind of looks like it's outdoors. If so, it may have been damaged by too low of temperatures. Indoors, of course, that wouldn't be a problem.

19ashe86

its in my office that gets decent afternoon sun and watering is sort of random.. sometimes I'll water every day sometimes ill skip a couple days..

should I put my plants on a schedule? say twice a week or something??

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rather than a watering schedule, per se, I recommend that you test the soil with your fingertips to determine when water is needed. Just dig one of your fingertips into the soil about 1/2 to 1 inch deep. (Dig deeper, depending on the size of the pot, I.e. small pot = 1/2 inch deep, etc.) When the soil is dry to that depth, add water. Be sure to water thoroughly, until the water flows freely out the drainage holes. Let all the excess water drain away before you return the plant to its saucer/drainage tray. You don't want to leave the pot standing in water.

Your plant is a native to the African jungle, so it may need some added humidity, especially during the winter months. Many people like to mist their plants, but I personally find that rather messy. I don't like getting water on my drapes and furniture. I also feel that misting only increases the humidity for a short period of time, not long enough to benefit the plant. For these reasons, I use humidity trays. These are simple shallow, waterproof containers ... usually filled with gravel (aquarium gravel is nice) ... and filled with water to just below the surface of the gravel. You want the pot to be able to sit on the gravel, but not be in the water. Other things can be used instead of gravel to support the pots above the water, such as the plastic egg crate grids used with fluorescent light fixtures. For humidity trays, I choose plant saucers about 4 to 6 inches wider than the pot I intend to place on it. That size allows the water to evaporate into the air and surround the plant.

HTH! :)

19ashe86

I think I'm gonna let it dry out for about a week and see if not watering so often helps... that humidity tray seems like a lot of work.. I think now that summer is approaching and my office gets so humid and warm and unbearable it'll be ok :)

I hope

thanks for your help!

19ashe86

the leaves are now starting to yellow!!!

what do I DO?!?!?!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”