Rose_j
Newly Registered

Wandering Jew Plant

A lady gave me a Wandering Jew Plant... however, it is just one single shoot/stem, whatever you wish to call it. I am wondering if there is a way that I could make it make babies, or do a cutting or something? I have never had one of these plants before, so I have no idea. And its so pretty, so I would like to make more of them! Thanks for your help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Absolutely you can propagate ("make babies") by taking cuttings from your plant. However, if you only have one stem, you might only be able to take one or two cuttings at a time. Then you'll have to be patient while it grows more stems for you. The new stems will sprout from the nodes, the point at which the leaves grow out from the stem.

Your cuttings should be about 5 to 6 inches long. How long is the stem you have? That is what will determine how many cuttings you can take right now. Post how long the stem of your plant is, and other members will be happy to help you learn how and when to take the cuttings. :)

Rose_j
Newly Registered

I have one single stem. And it is about... 13 inches.. and I have leaves on the last 5 inches of the plant. So... If I understand right Kisal, I can literally just cut the stem and the part that has the leaves will grown new roots? Forgive me, I have never done cuttings before. I've read that Wandering Jews are pretty tough and can handle a lot, but that seems kinda like an awful lot! Thanks for your help, I do want it to make babies because the plant is so pretty and I feel bad that there is only one of them!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've got a bunch of jars with cuttings rooting in water. Takes just a few days to have good roots, and can be transplanted into soil a weeek and a half later. I've rooted one that was basically three leaves and their joint with no stem below it. That's abusive, and yet it grows.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”