Lishke
Newly Registered

HYACINTH CARE AFTER BLOOMING

I am soooo excited!!! I finally bought my first hyacinths. I have always wanted some. The girl at Wal-Mart last night told me that if I removed the blooms after they were finished blooming that the plant would bloom again and again all year. :shock: I thought they were just Spring blooming.
There are 3 plants tightly packed in the pot. Do I need to transplant them to a larger pot after they bloom or leave them? :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You were correct. The clerk was mistaken. :)

I just leave them in the pot they're in when I buy them. Do remove the spent blooms, as that will allow the leaves to pour all of their energy into the bulbs, for next years flowers.

If you leave the spent flowers on, they will produce seeds, and your bulbs might not bloom the following year. The seeds may or may not be viable, but would require a few years ... 5 years, if my memory serves me correctly ... before they would produce blooming plants, if they even grow at all. :)

OldThymer

I planted some, for the first time, in the fall and mine are looking great. Will they spread?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They do spread, but not very fast.

For lischke -- after they are all done and the leaves have turned yellow, I would divide them up into separate or larger pot so that maybe they will multiply for next year.

The pots need to be somewhere cold through the winter, but with some protection. Pots freeze harder and go through more freeze thaw cycles than when it's in the ground.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thank you Rainbow! I'm so embarrassed! :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:

When I was posting my answer, I failed to include the fact that after the foliage on my hyacinths dies down, I replant them in the ground outdoors! You can just replant them in a larger container, if you prefer to keep them indoors.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”