Lupinus

How many plants?

Hi All,

I'm giving it another go after last seasons mediocre results. After more research I'm armed with better mix and a little bit better idea of watering.

One question I'm trying to determine is how many plants per bin. The containers being used are 18 gallon storage totes measuring 24 L x 18.38 W x 15.75 H

Last year I gave it a go with two tomatoes per bin, this year I'm thinking it might be a better idea to cut it down to one per bin?

I'm also doing bell peppers, would the recommendation be one or two plants per bin?
By cultivating the beautiful we scatter the seeds of heavenly flowers, as by doing good we cultivate those that belong to humanity.
Robert A. Heinlein

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You would do well to get a copy of Square Foot Gardening by Mel B. or google square foot gardening for a spacing chart. I would not put more than one standard sized tomato plant per your container. Two bell peppers should do just fine.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you drilled drainage holes in them?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unless you're using a variety of tomato specifically bred for container culture, I would go with one tomato plant per bin.

Sorry, but I can't offer advice about the peppers.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Lupinus

Thanks All.
By cultivating the beautiful we scatter the seeds of heavenly flowers, as by doing good we cultivate those that belong to humanity.
Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”