Jakobslander
Newly Registered

Bulbs: Did I make a mistake?

Hello all.

First and foremost let me tell you what a pleasure it is to read this forum every day! Lots of good information.

I live in Questchester county in NY and my question is the following: Last year I got me lots of tulip, hyacinth and deffodils bulbs (about 60-20 of each). I decided to plant them around October of 2009, half of them on the ground and half in containers covered with mulch and left outside.

This year I can see the ones in the ground coming up nicely but... the ones inside the plastic containers... I have yet to see anything coming up.

Does this mean I've lost the bulbs because of all the cold and snow we had up here this winter?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Could be, not much to do now but wait and see. But things planted in containers are much less protected than in the ground -- freeze harder, go through more freeze/ thaw cycles, etc. If you are in zone 6 (I couldn't tell, did you mean Westchester? I couldn't find a Questchester) the things in the pots are in the equivalent of zone 4 or 5.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I would get nosey and dig them out of the pots. If you find bulbs, are they nice and firm? And green tips? If they are yucky, you know they are dead.

I had something eating bulbs in one of my beds, and lost 90% of them to whatever that worm is.

Fortunately, I had missed some when I moved them to that bed, so not completely wiped out. Just severely depleted!

If anyone divides daffodils this year, I would love to have a new start of some other than basic yellow, which seems to be the only thing I missed in moving them.

Jakobslander
Newly Registered

Hello all.

Yes, I did finally check this past week end and the bulbs are gone. The only thing left is a white ball of goo.

I think Mother Nature is trying to tell me something...

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”