Susan W
Greener Thumb

Lining for containers?

This may have been addressed before, but then a good time to discuss as we start planting up our containers. I had already planned to do most of my herbs in containers on the back drive, and then acquired some very large plastic tubs from a garden center (used for the trees and shrubs).

I have potted up 2, one leaf lettuce and one chard. Put a couple inches of pebbles on the bottom. Then the 'cheaper' top soil, then a few inches of better bagged potting soil.

The pots are set up on bricks so not directly on the ground. This allows for better drainage and various things don't crawl up into the pots and set up housekeeping.

Question is, do some of you put a liner in so water will drain but the pebbles and dirt don't wash out the bottom holes?

applestar
Mod

:lol: I see we have COMPLETELY opposite container gardening theory :lol:

I always put my containers directly on the ground. My containers, especially the larger ones are first filled with rough, 1/2 finished compost mixed with 3/8" gravel and decayed/composted wood chips so earthworms move in from the bottom holes almost before I'm done. There are already a number of soil denizens in the container anyway, but I've shifted the container after finishing and found earthworms coming up from the ground underneath. :roll:

Also, keeping the containers on the ground usually gives me that little extra buffer against overwatering as well as from completely drying out.

Usually, the larger and interlocking particles of the bottom soil mix blocks is sufficient to keep the remaining soil, usually sifted through 3/4~1" mesh from falling/washing through.

For smaller containers of smaller plants, I sift through 1/2" mesh. If those containers have large holes, I line with a (usually used) paper towel. The paper towel disintegrates after a while but, by then, the plant will have grown sufficient roots through the soil mix to hold it together.

FYI - for keeping bugs out, I've heard that people use pieces of window screen. Some people tape the screen to the inside of the bottom with duct tape so it doesn't move around or leave gaps. Some meticulous folks cut the screen to the exact inside dimension of the bottom of the container. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you have pebbles in the bottom, you should have no difficulty with soil washing out. The drainage holes are likely smaller than the pebbles. I like AS's theory, assuming you have ground to put the containers on. My containers are mostly on my deck, my concrete patio, my concrete front steps and walkway etc. The places where I have actual ground, I put plants in it. I use the containers to make use of all the rest!

But no, I don't use liners or screen, just put pebbles or broken up terra cotta flower pots and stuff like that in the bottom.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for responses so far!
My containers are on the concrete. I guess I think of raising for drainage as we get lots of rain (can be 60"/yr). They still need spot watered depending on heat, sun, rain etc etc. Small pots and hanging baskets are daily maintenance.
I do raise any pots on the deck which only helps some to keep the wood from totally rotting!
I will make an effort to gently re-locate earthworms into the pots. As I clean any leaves and stuff, including worms off the area, usually try to gently put that in the gardens.

FWIW, the drainage holes are bigger than the pebbles.

If all goes even 1/2 well, I hope to be posting more on my new gardening effort.That being a focus on the large containers for the herbs.

Trial and error. Lots of trial and lots of error!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

California gardeners must protect their container plants from snails and slugs. I'm surprised to hear that gardeners in the eastern half of the U.S. don't consider these vermin a threat! :lol:

I cover each drain hole of each container with about 2" x 2" of hardware cloth of the same fine mesh as window screen. By now in my gardening "career," I have several of these squares of hardware cloth and don't have to cut them very often (use tin snips). But if I were only to put lava rocks, gravel, etc. at the bottom of the containers to prevent soil/planting mix from leaking out, believe me: I would find snail/slug eggs inside those drain holes. It happened many times the first few years I gardened in the Bay Area. :x

That was before I saw The Light about Snail Hunting. (Different discussion :twisted:)

So I recommend the screen, *then* the pebbles/rocks/what-have-you.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I line my containers with non-metal window screening. I don't use gravel or pottery shards, because I have had plants' roots become enmeshed in those materials, making it harder on the plants when I move them to larger pots.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I like the window screen idea, and got a small roll today of a non-metal one. I may double it for a bit more strength/durability. Perhaps wishful thinking!

As for the pebbles and roots, not too worried. The smaller pots are about 12" tall, larger about 18".

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”