stanhorst

Recommendations for 3-Gallon Pot

I would like to make a container garden in a three-gallon container, my first try. How do I pick combinations? And what combinations do you recommend?

Thanks,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For sun or shade?

stanhorst

Sorry. This will be in the sun.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What color preferences do you have, if any? Will your container be hanging or sitting on the ground, such as on a patio or deck? :)

stanhorst

I have a large, 3 gallon pot that is fake ceramic. The container will be located near my side door, on asphalt. That location is almost full sun, at least 5-6 hours strong sunlight per day.

No color preferences except bright and cheery. :)

Thanks,

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Portulaca grandiflora 'All Aglow' is nice. :D

[img]https://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/raznozvet2/Portulaca_AllAGlow3911.jpg[/img]

stanhorst

I should have made clear that I am looking to have different varieties in this container.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have done containers with white geraniums and white petunias, red geraniums and white petunias, and yellow marigolds ( I use 'Aztec Gold' because they are neither too short nor too tall) and deep blue petunias.

Trailing lobelia is pretty combined with other plants, especially in hanging containers. I have also used Sweet Alyssum in containers, in combination with taller plants.

The choices are really endless. :)

ETA: The portulaca could easily be used in combination with another plant. The important thing is to make sure that all the plants in a single container like the same conditions in terms of pH of the soil, the light exposure, and the amount and frequency of watering.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I enjoy doing the mixed flower pots. Looks like you have heat and sun, very good for some things, less good for others! I would wait until mid-end April for this project, and when potted, put bricks or something under the pot. Don't have a saucer, but get it off the ground to drain well (I presume has drain holes!

Some of my faves. Dusty miller for the foliage/texture and height (grey-green foliage). Angelonia (purples) for height. For fill color and drooping over, there's million bells (look like mini-petunias), blue daze, scaviola (purple fan flower). You can always stick a basil in there, either purple or green.

In your situation will need a daily dash of water. I enjoy going out late afternoon with the hose and doing the pots, spot water in the garden and the bird baths.

I usually pot mine with the 4" starts from the garden center. Sometimes will get a 6 pack of something going in more than one (dusty miller for example).

Have fun with the pot, and you will be adding more.......

applestar
Mod

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion because I can't seem to do all flowers/ornamentals any more. I keep thinking "EDIBLE" :lol:

So, how about Strawberries? Or Pineapple Sage? (alright you can use Salvias insead :wink: ) Better yet, see what you think of the plants I recommended in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=119003#119003]this thread[/url].

In a mixed planting, I like to vary the height and also have something trailing.

stanhorst

Thanks everyone. The advice is wonderful, and gives me some definite ideas to pursue. Applestar, for edible I have other places. :D I just want this to be ornamental only.

Seems like the common theme is to have something with height, something lower, and something trailing. And to make sure they all like the same conditions. I can verify that at my garden center.

Thanks Again!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”