SecretDaWolf
Newly Registered

(Calla & Oriental) Lilies - dieing. help?

For mom's birthday, I got her some flowers labled as "Oriental Lily", and yesterday, I found some Lavender Calla Lilies. I gathered a handful of info on the Calla Lily, but some things are unclear. (I'm brand new to the whole thing, let alone lilies.)

How exactly do I transfer from the thing they sell them in to an actual pot...?

They said they(the Callas) are relatively easy to take care of, but I don't really understand the whole "give them a break" thing...

Also, exactly how big should the pot be. I've been told to plant from 1 inch under soil to about 6 inches.

I'll have more eventually, but just these for now. ^.^ Anything will be appreciated! <3
Last edited by SecretDaWolf on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SecretDaWolf
Newly Registered

The Stargazers(I found out that's what they are) are dying. Theres about 4 flowers that have died off. Do I clip those? And how do I keep the rest of the flowers from following suit?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Is it the blooms that are dying? The actual flowers? If so, yes, it's appropriate to cut them off.

I can't advise you about the pot, because I don't know what they're planted in at this time. Are they in plastic pots? Fiber pots? Or ...?

SecretDaWolf
Newly Registered

Yeah, the flowers themselves. And, plastic pots. I rescued it from the grocery store lol. It's got the purple gift wrap thing over the plastic. The whole thing is lighter than the Calla Lilies, too. o.O

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, you should get rid of the gift wrap as soon as you can. At the very least, remove the plastic pot from the foil wrap when you water the lily. Don't put it back inside the foil wrap until there has been plenty of time for all excess water to drain out of the plastic pot.

I grow my indoor plants in plastic pots, but for appearances sake, I place them inside decorative containers. I just place the plastic pot and its plant inside a pretty container. Such containers are called "cache pots." Wicker baskets lined with plastic film are popular with many people for this purpose. (I got very tired of baskets, though, so now, I just buy pretty pots whenever I see them in stores. I have a whole collection of different pots I use for this purpose. I switch them around as the mood strikes me. :lol: ) The point is the same, though. I remove the plant and it's plastic pot, carry it to the kitchen, water the plant, allow it to sit in the sink for about 30 minutes to an hour to allow excess water to drain off, and then I replace it in its decorative pot. You don't want the pot that your plant is growing in ever to stand in water, and that foil wrap will hold water, just as if it were a bowl. (I know that because I've drowned a couple of plants that way. ;) )

SecretDaWolf
Newly Registered

Ok, took the plastic off. My brother dug out a huge pot to put the Stargazers in. I'm just nervous to move them. Every plant I've repotted has ended up dying.
I've been setting them out front on the dirt when I water them. That way they get the morning sun with their drink, and the excess water drains outside without having to drain a saucer. Maybe we'll get some grass too :P
Ty for your help ^.^

SecretDaWolf
Newly Registered

The Stargazers and Callas are dieing. My brother says it's cause I was putting them in the wrong spot when I put them out for morning sun, and that they were getting too much sun... So how do I bring them back? The link in my signature has pics I got after I pruned off the dead flowers.

I was bringing them out and setting them in front of the house which faces the sunrise. I'd water them, then bring them in at night before bed...
Am I watering them too much? Are they getting too much sun or should they be fine sitting in the window (the window I was setting them under)?

Any help will be appreciated. <3

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”