lowlyplanter
Newly Registered

overwatered a fig or ficus

its dropping yellow leaves, the soil is totally dry on top and wet? below, its at leasy 10ft tall

have I ruined it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How long have the roots been too wet? Is it something you just did one time, or has it been a long-standing problem? Is the plant in a container with several drainage holes? Is water being allowed to stand in the drainage tray or cache pot?

If it's just been a short-term thing, draining off any excess water might be all that's needed.

In some cases, the plant can be removed from the pot and the overly wet soil gently removed from around the roots, then repot the plant with fresh soil. If you recently repotted the plant and failed to use a good potting soil, then you might be able to repot it in the correct soil. Garden soil is much too heavy to use for container-grown plants. Always use containers that have several drainage holes in the bottom.

If you remove the plant from its pot and see that most of the roots are brown and mushy, then the plant probably can't be saved. The only way I know of would be to prune off the damaged roots, repot the plant, and prune back the top, but even that might not save it.

lowlyplanter
Newly Registered

according to my water meter, its been too wet for about 4 weeks. before that, I wasnt using a water meter and just gave it plenty water once a week for 3 weeks.

this isnt my plant and its in a very heavy and huge thick ceramic planter with probably no drainage.

would letting it go without water for a while be the thing to do? or poking holes into the soil, or turning the top soil? or planting something with it to drink the water?

is it even wise to repot something this big and probably old?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's actually planted directly in that big planter? Or is it planted in a different pot which has been placed inside the planter, and the top of everything covered with something like moss, so that the interior pot can't be seen? The latter is the usual technique. That way, if the plant develops a problem or dies, it can be easily and quickly pulled out of the decorative planter and replaced with a healthy specimen.

If it's planted in the heavy planter, I'm not sure what to tell you. you can try not watering it for awhile, but that rarely works. At least that's been my experience. If the plant has been standing in water for a long time -- and a month is a long time -- there is probably advanced root rot. Certainly there's enough to interfere with the support of the above-ground part of the plant.

If there is sphagnum moss or some other "topping" over the surface of the soil, pull it aside and see if the plant is actually in a smaller pot inside the large planter. If so, get a couple of strong people to help you pull it, pot and all, out of the large planter. Then you will be able to do whatever needs to be done with the plant, as well as drain out any standing water left in the decorative planter. I have a siphon that has a bulb that you squeeze with your hand to get it started. I have used it in such situations. I also have an aquarium siphon that might work for such purpose as getting the water out of a large planter. First, though, you have to get the plant out of the way.

Poking holes in the soil won't do the trick, and planting some other plant to help absorb the water wouldn't work fast enough to save the Ficus.

lowlyplanter
Newly Registered

thanks for the info.
I'm pretty sure it's right in there but I'll check.

if I am able to take it out, should I snip the roots as well?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could, but you will lose some of the top growth if you do. It's impossible -- well, for me anyway -- to determine exactly what part or how much of the top will die when I prune the roots of a plant, so I always consider it an "iffy" situation. It's one thing when dealing with something like an asparagus fern that I just want to keep in a smaller pot, but it's entirely something else when dealing with a 10-foot tall Ficus tree. I feel very uneasy advising you to prune the roots. I might feel otherwise if I was present and could examine the root ball and smell the soil to see if it has a "sour" odor. Roots can be pruned, but you must be prepared to lose the entire plant.

If you remove the plant from the pot and find that the majority of the root ball is made up of nice, healthy-looking, firm, white roots, then you could try to snip off the brown mushy bits. But if you have to remove more than just a little of the root ball, I would just consider the plant a goner.

Whether or not you prune the roots, when you replant the tree, pot it in a container with good drainage holes in the bottom, and use a fast-draining soil mix. If you want to place it back inside that large decorative planter, put a layer of rocks or gravel about 2 or 3 inches deep inside the bottom of the decorative planter, and set the pot on top of that. Then cover the top surface of the soil with sphagnum moss to make it look attractive.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”