paperdoll
Newly Registered

Just starting out (indoor sprouting question)

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm *very* new to gardening. I went vegan about a year ago, and over the last year I've learned a lot about organic produce, and sustainability. I currently try to support my local farmers, and then I decided...hey, why don't I try to cultivate my own garden! I have a few challenges, though. Firstly, I'm in an apartment, so I won't have a big space for transfering my plants, once they've sprouted and its warm enough to put them outside. My darling husband is building me a "flower box", but I'm going to have it make it with the idea in mind that this will be where I transfer my plants to. We have a deck that it will sit on, and theres plenty of sunlight. My question is, how deep do I need him to make this box if I'm going to grow things like lettuce, peas, cucumber...things of that nature. I have a pretty good idea for how big it can be, but I'm assuming it will have to be a certain depth to accomodate the roots.

Also, as my seeds begin to sprout inside, is there any tips I should know? I started them in little mud pots, maybe like compact mulch? I filled the pots about 3/4 full of organic "jiffy" sprouting mix. And then I put the seeds in, and filled the pots the rest of the way and pressed the soil compactly. Then watered! And put in front of the window where the sun is best. I am not sure if I'm watering too often or too little. Typically I water them once a day, and just until the soil is saturated. I am seeing some sprouts from my lettuce, which is a good sign, but I'm wondering if theres anything I'm missing, so far.

Thanks for reading my long post! I'm sure I'll be back for more...soon!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find it friendly and helpful!

For starting things like lettuce and peas and maybe cucumber, 6" deep of soil will be plenty. If you were going to do bigger things, like especially tomatoes, 10- 12" would be better. The peas are vines and need some kind of trellis to grow up, which can be just sticks with strings across for horizontals. The cucumber spreads out like crazy, but can also be grown vertical up a trellis, but at that point, you need a more substantial trellis that can take the weight of a big plant with a bunch of cucumbers on it.

Timing is one thing that beginners often don't think about. The only specific plants you mentioned are lettuce, peas, cucumber. The lettuce and peas are cold weather crops, that can be direct seeded in the ground (or planter) "as soon as the soil can be worked," which is probably about now or soon for you. The don't like hot sun and will benefit from some shade once the weather really warms up. But they are likely to be done and over with some time in June any way.

The cucumber is warm weather crop that doesn't want to be planted outside until not only all danger of frost is past, but the soil has warmed up some.

It's hard to answer questions about your seeds without knowing what seeds you have planted. The only specific one you mentioned is lettuce. The lettuce should do fine in front of a good window. A lot of full sun plants like tomatoes and peppers don't do so well in front of windows and need some supplemental lighting. Browse around in the seed starting threads we have going. You want to keep your seeds/seedlings a little damp, but NOT wet! If you press the soil and water oozes out, it is TOO WET. Too much humidity kills more seedlings than anything else. If by "mud pots," you mean peat, be careful with them. They tend to hold too much moisture.

paperdoll
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your reply!! The box info and cold and warm crop info was great, so thanks!

I started another round of seeds yesterday because after reading some information I fear I may have over watered my first batch of pots. I am seeing some lovely green sprouts from my lettuce, peas, and broccoli! I'm really encouraged! From what I understand, unless youre somewhat experienced, the kill rate for starting from seeds can be high! I think I'll be glad I did another round in case my assumption was right and I I'd over water some of the pots. I will post a few pictures of my sprouts when I can!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”