earth

how many petunia in this pot?

My petunias are doing well...the roots have started showing from below the pots so I bough a hanging basket with measurement: 11inces diameter & 5inches deep. I have many petunias...one has grown very fast ...my question is:

1. How many petunias can I grow in this basket?
2. The plants have been growing in Potting soil....should I use potting soil OR Miracle grow potting mix for petunia....this is Drawf Petunia variety!

thanks!

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/S56ZvJhJ8YI/AAAAAAAAAYA/mpu3jr-mzbo/s1600/DSCN6798.JPG[/img]

[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/S56ZmTvdQuI/AAAAAAAAAX4/cIUoHiBQH7A/s1600/DSCN6797.JPG[/img]

[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/S56ZhlPeT9I/AAAAAAAAAXw/tnyE3DNFqbw/s1600/DSCN6796.JPG[/img]

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Petunias are very pretty and flashy annuals, sort of short lived. We grow them for bunches of blooms, then it's over. Hanging baskets are crammed full. We would cram them in (6 pack type) the baskets when I worked at a garden center. We used MG potting soil (you organic ones need to close your eyes !!!!!). If you look at hanging baskets planted and sold at garden places, you will see how the things are just over planted.

Back to your question, what is your wanted effect? Then plant them closer than you thought! And enjoy!

earth

thanks... so I am planning to put 10 petunias in this one..hope that enough :-D

still confused which soil will be better- I have Gardners Potting soil & recently bought Miracle grow potting MIX....so MIX or SOIL is a confusion :-I

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have an instinctive aversion to anything made by the Miracle Gro company. But that's a personal "thing"; I've always had to use organic methods b/c of my migraines. Each and every insect spray, fertilizer mix, chemical dust, etc., has acted as a migraine trigger. When I first tried to take up gardening in college (when I lived in Atlanta), I learned about all of these wonderful (not...) migraine triggers quickly. Maybe one month.

So I've used organic methods always.

That said, check to see which, if either, of these products is designed for use in containers. Amazingly enough, not everything that calls itself a "potting mix / soil" is intended for use in container gardening; many of them (once you read the small print) are intended for seed starting and other short-term uses.

Container growing media need to provide better drainage than in-ground media do, but at the same time need to retain enough water so that the gardener isn't glued in place, holding a watering can over the bowl like a human fountain... :!:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”