jeffnyc
Newly Registered

Using Filtered Water to Water?

Hello!

Everything I have read regarding watering terrariums, orchids, cacti and numerous other plants advises using either DISTILLED or RAIN WATER.

There has never been mention of filtered water (I.e., Brita, Pur, etc.)

Does anyone use filtered water for the plants mentioned above?

Do the filters simply not remove enough chemicals and minerals?

Thank you!
Jeff

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I grow cacti, but I just water them with ordinary tap water. For some of my other plants, I let the water sit out overnight in containers, to allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Plants get a lot of minerals from water, which is why I dislike the idea of using distilled water.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't grow orchids, nor do I have any terrariums. :(

jeffnyc
Newly Registered

Not at all. Glad to have your feedback. I have been using tap water and my plants seem just fine.

I have been taking care of a mini cacti garden and was concerned about the chemicals (the chemicals everyone talks about) affecting the smaller plants.

I think I'll just use the filtered or distilled water with cacti fertilizer to ensure the proper nutirents.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

applestar
Mod

OK. I use filtered water to water my indoor plants. But not all the time, and you also have to remember that I use my own compost based potting mix (except orchids, though I'm starting to experiment).

Mostly, I'm looking for de-chlorination. Upstairs, I use Copper-Zinc de-chlorinator on my shower and use the water collected while the shower warms up, etc.

In the kitchen, I use filtered water for immediate use (as in "OMG I didn't realize you were so dry!" :eek: ), but I also usually use it to rinse out my French press coffee carafe with it and water, so the plants are getting weak used coffee ground water. I also usually boil without adding salt and use the water from boiling pasta, eggs, edamame and a few other vegs. I use filtered water for 2nd and 3rd rinsing of rice or beans prior to cooking, and salad greens, and the used water goes in the watering can.

For misting, I use filtered tap water.

I do think rain water is the best. Next best, I understand, is boiled and cooled tap water. I did collect snow in buckets and have been using melted snow water for my seedlings. I guess I might continue and fetch some water from my rainbarrels, but the sooner the indoor plants can go out the better. :roll: My 3 rosemary, lemon thyme/scented geranium, and stevia went out yesterday, and I did put one citrus out already.

Getting back your list of plants, my orchids are upstairs so I generally use the de-chlorinated tap water. Sometimes, I'll be generous and bring up the "fortified" water from the kitchen, particularly the used coffee ground water which I think suits orchid needs. I don't have cacti but most of my succulents are upstairs. Night-blooming Cereus is downstairs and gets the water from the kitchen. Don't have a terrarium at the moment, but the biggest issue, I think, is mineral build-up.

malkore
Cool Member

Kisal wrote:I grow cacti, but I just water them with ordinary tap water. For some of my other plants, I let the water sit out overnight in containers, to allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Plants get a lot of minerals from water, which is why I dislike the idea of using distilled water.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't grow orchids, nor do I have any terrariums. :(
Check your local water company...most places use chloramine now, not chlorine. Chloramine binds with the water and won't evaporate/gas out of the water. It has to be bound with another chemical, which usually converts it to fairly harmless levels of ammonium.

I have to deal with chloramine in my freshwater planted aquariums, and my homebrewing water. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Well, my local water utility company has this in the FAQ on their website:

"Why is chlorine added to my drinking water?

Chlorine is added to kill any bacteria, viruses and some protozoans that may be present. Federal law requires a trace of chlorine in the water to ensure its purity as it travels from the filtration plant to your tap. You can remove the chlorine by setting a pitcher of water in the refrigerator. Chlorine is a dissolved gas and will dissipate into the air quickly."

jeffnyc
Newly Registered

Wooo! Applestar, that is some system you have... WOW and thank you!

I think, for my small potted cacti garden, I'll use distilled water with cacti fertilizer.

Houseplants will get tap water.

Terrariums will get distilled water!

Thank you all for the excellent advice!!!!

:D :) :lol:

jeffnyc
Newly Registered

Brita reduce copper, chlorine and mercury... — reduce lead, benzene, TTHMs and microbial cysts.

From NYC DEP: "All surface water and groundwater entering New York City’s distribution system is treated with chlorine, fluoride, food grade phosphoric acid and, in some cases, sodium hydroxide."

Think it's best to go with:

‣ Tap for my houseplants
‣ Filtered for misting
‣ Distilled for Terrariums and small potted gardens

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”