jld
Newly Registered

Newbie window box/plant spacing

I wanted a window box for a north facing window in my apartment so I stopped by my local helpful garden center to pick up supplies. The fellow there made some suggestions and I came home with a 30" window box, 2 brunera (1 jack frost and 1 looking glass), 2 Clemintine red columbine, and 3 small lamium for some drapage.

Reading up about these plants, they all suggest planting 12"-18" inches apart, and I'd really be cramming these 7 plants into the single box, but I do know that it's better to really plant containers with a lot, rather than too little.

Can anyone speak to if this is too much for my single window box? Should I run out and grab another box and split this stuff up? If so, what's the right amount of space for this stuff? Thanks!

[img]https://www.johndierks.com/img/windowbox.jpg[/img]

John

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The question is how much repotting and moving around are you up for? Your window box would look very bare and empty with 1 foot or more of space between and plants are usually crowded. But all of those are perennials that are going to keep getting bigger and will get pretty good sized before they are done. So if you plant them close now in the fall or next spring you will need to spread everything out.

But for right now, it looks pretty the way you have it (I understand that in the picture, they weren't really planted yet). If you crowd them like that, you will also have to work harder at keeping them watered and fertilized. There isn't enough soil to really provide for them, so they will be dependent on inputs from you.

I'm assuming from the selection of plants that this windowbox will not be in a full sun location? None of those plants like full sun.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”