Banzai Tree
Newly Registered

Question about potted sansevieria

I have a question, if somebody can help me. I got some potted plants and some of them look like there's 2 in the pot like this:

[img]https://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8062/52571521.jpg[/img]

I just want to make sure this is two plants and not the same one. And is it safe for the plant to separate and repot each one?

Sasha
Cool Member

From what I've read, it's apparently one plant but you can split off the offshoot and plant it separately. I have never taken a look at the root system though so I don't know what the connection between the two shoots looks like or how well developed the root system of each is. If the little guy has a reasonably well-developed root system, you should be okay to separate them, I think.

Let us know what happens.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sansevieria spread by underground rhizomes. I had one actually bent and eventually cracked the plastic pot I had it in. I understand that even clay pots are not totally safe from these plants' roots! :lol:

Sansevieria are best grown in deep containers, so the rhizomes have room to grow down without damaging the pot. Once they have grown back upward, emerged from the soil, and formed leaves, they can be separated from the parent plant and potted up individually. They can also be propagated by cutting a leaf crosswise into sections and planting them in soil.

The International Sansevieria Society has some interesting information on their website:

https://www.sansevieria-international.org/cultivation.htm
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Banzai Tree
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips. These are apparently variegated so they can't propagate by cutting leaves, but the rhizome split is supposed to work so I hope I can cut them well. I guess I am going to buy some pots and see what happens.

Gnome
Mod

Banzai Tree,

Just to clarify a little bit. The variegated forms can be propagated via leaf cuttings with the caveat that they will lose the variegation. So, they can but they can't :wink:

I've never understood this, with everything else I'm familiar with, taking cuttings is one way to assure the same characteristics in the offspring. :?:

Norm

Banzai Tree
Newly Registered

These plants are great. They're almost like cactii except they don't need much sun. I just barely got around to messing with the splitting. They were indeed the same plant. I used a box cutter to cut the rhizome. If I can get them going, I'm going to put a bunch of these in an empty bed that I never get around to using so it gets full of grass and weeds. I hope these plants can defeat weeds and grass as filler. I've tried all sorts of plants and they all die due to being under a tree; not enough sun, I guess.

I am going to keep at least one of these in a pot. I wonder if these plants can actually be bonsai? I hear they break pots, and some said it here, too, but maybe they can be kept in check in a wide, shallow bonsai pot?

Anyway, here's what the results look like:

[img]https://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9052/10484754.jpg[/img]

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”