amelia23

Growing Thyme Indoors

Hi everyone,

At the farmer's market today I got myself a little baby thyme starter plant. It's nice and healthy right now and I want to keep it that way! I just wondered if anyone has any tips for maintaining thyme? Any suggestions for uses, etc.

Anything would be helpful!

Thanks in advance. :)

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Well I got some thyme in a really small china vase. It gets very minimal attention from me. I hardly water the thing and its been just fine for a long thyme. :o
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba012.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba013.jpg[/img]

I like the way it looks kind of like a bonsai and it smells really really nice. Avoid over watering. It likes the full sun so lots of light. Really I can't add anymore because it one of the easiest and lowest maintenance plants I own.

amelia23

Thanks very much for the helpful advice! Do you use yours to season foods, etc?

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I just eat it straight or make a herbal tea.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But it is great used as a seasoning. I have some in the AeroGarden hydroponic garden that I got for Christmas. It is thriving there with little attention.

OldThymer

I find that my thyme will take off when I let the soil dry for a bit. The fragrance (like most herbs) also intensifies if it is allowed to dry out.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I like the peas in tv dinners.
I know odd.
But, I have learned to make mine just as good.
You add a bit of thyme to them, and if not sweet enough, just a dusting of sugar, while cooking them...
Makes them really yummy.

So, use some of that thyme...

garmy yo
Cool Member

I recently bought a thyme that I am going to bonsai. Would it be a good idea to keep it under a CFL bulb during the winter? Or does it need a dormant period with the short days?
Attachments
P1090424.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The thyme that does the best is the one that is neglected. It likes sun and well drained soil. I haven't figured out the water. It likes more water than I thought it would. It does like to be sheared regularly or it gets leggy. The center gets woody over time and it does not come back well so I keep layering my plant to make new ones to replace the older ones when they die. I like French thyme best.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”