19ashe86

planting different species in the same pot

I was thinking of planting a madagascar dragon tree single plant and a Lemon Lime Dragon tree single truck together in a 12 in terra cotta pot... do you think that'd be ok??

I wonder what it would even look like... stupid vs not supid

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think there's a problem about different species in the same pot. Most of my house plants are mixed containers of several different things. However a 12" pot sounds very small even for one dragon tree, unless these are little babies. If they are very small now you could put two in the 12" pot, but be prepared to up pot to bigger size very soon. And at that point the root systems will be thoroughly tangled together, so you won't be able to separate them and they will be permanently crowded together forever after. I'd start with a bigger pot.

Is your madagascar dragon the marginata with the red edges? That would make a nice contrast with the lime-chartreuse-y color of the lemon lime dragon. The only trouble with putting two dragon trees together in a pot is that as they grow out, they drop all the bottom leaves and you have long skinny bare trunk. I like to plant them with other things around them to hide some of that.

Here's a photo of some dragon trees together in a pot:

https://www.plantaficionado.com/pictures/madagascar-dragon-tree.jpg

But you notice they are different ages/sizes, so at least you have height contrast going on and the long skinny trunk of the tallest one has greenery in front of it from the shorter ones. If you have two you bought at the same time, same age and height, then as they grow out you will have two long skinny trunks with greenery at the top.

Just my thoughts....

19ashe86

well the dragon tree I had that died had a teired effect and looked amazing. I'd like to do that to not only my lemon lime but my standard dragon tree as well .... my mom and some family are going to FL in april and I asked my mother to see if she could bring me 2 more of each back along with some spanish moss to help hide the dirt :) my uncle is really into plants and such so maybe he could help locate some.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”