tygerwillow
Newly Registered

flowering vine container sizes

I'm planning to plant some annual vines on my balcony this year.

First up is Morning Glories and Moonflowers. From what I've read elsewhere, I think I can put these in pretty much any container and they'll do fine. Is this correct? I have some long 7-inch deep rectangular planters that I want to put them in. If they grow anywhere from 3 to 10 feet I'll be happy.

Then I'd like to plant some Sweet Pea vines and have them grow to about 6-7 feet tall. How deep a container would be good for this?

And finally, Black-Eyed Susan vines. These I want to grow down rather than up (hanging down 2-3 feet). Since I don't want them to grow terribly big, I assume I don't need a big container? About what size/depth pot should I use?

I'm in Zone 8. And honestly, I don't really care if any of these flower; I mainly just want something green that grows quickly. Though flowers would be a nice bonus!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you didn't get a response to this, but there's not too much to add. All your vines should be just fine in the smallish pots you describe.

I grow moonflower, cardinal climber, climbing snapdragon, and other annual flowering vines on trellises on my deck. They are in pots 12" diameter and 10" deep, several to a pot, planted in with petunias and other non-climbing flowering stuff, and everything does fine, it's more than they need.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Moonflowers are crazy - they are so strong, they push out the soil out of the container I am sprouting them in. I can just imagine how wildly they will grow!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”