Ridiculous

Can you identify my plants?

I've got a few indoor plants but I don't know what they are. they're just plants that have been given to me and what not and that's about all I know.

plant 1...
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/Garden%20Pics/IMG00253.jpg[/img]

plant 2...this one has a defficincy of some sort too...if you know what it is please tell!
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/Garden%20Pics/IMG00254.jpg[/img]

plant 3...
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/Garden%20Pics/IMG00255.jpg[/img]

plant 4...
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/Garden%20Pics/IMG00256.jpg[/img]

plant 5...
[img]https://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/Ridiculous02/Garden%20Pics/IMG00258.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

# 1 and # 3 look like Epipremnum aureum, also known as Golden Pothos and Variegated Philodendron. They will lack variegation if not given sufficient light.

# 4 is probably Syngonium podophyllum, commonly known as Arrowhead Vine.

#5 is, I believe, Sansevieria trifasciata, also called Snake Plant or Mother-in-law's Tongue.

I'm not sure about #2.

applestar
Mod

My guess for #2 is Peace Lily or may be Aspidistra....

Ridiculous

thanks guys, I google imaged everything you said and it all seems to match so I'm gonna put label stakes in the pots now so I don't forget 8)

can anyone tell me what's up with the burnt leaf tips on that peace lily??

I noticed that the arrowhead vine is just starting to show the same signs?? :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it is a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum), it will like to be in moist soil. That doesn't mean it wants its roots to be wet to the point of sogginess, or to stand in water, though. Just keep it nice and evenly moist.

Brown leaf tips can result from either too much or not enough water. Too much heat or too much fertilizer can also cause brown leaf tips on these plants.

Ridiculous

Kisal wrote:If it is a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum), it will like to be in moist soil. That doesn't mean it wants its roots to be wet to the point of sogginess, or to stand in water, though. Just keep it nice and evenly moist.

Brown leaf tips can result from either too much or not enough water. Too much heat or too much fertilizer can also cause brown leaf tips on these plants.
ok, I'm deff. thinkin its a peace lily. cause I usually let my pots dry out quite a bit before watering. and when I do that to this one, she really starts to droop. so maybe that's the problem. I don't believe it's fert burn b/c it was recently transplanted and I haven't given it any nutes yet. so maybe its lacking nutes too???

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I kind of doubt it needs fertilizer, especially if you recently repotted it, presuming you used a good quality potting soil. I'd bet it's the water. My Peace Lily lives in my living room, a place I rarely visit except to clean. It got a bit droopy a couple of times and now has a leaf with a brown tip. As new leaves emerge, I'll just remove the damaged one. :)

Ridiculous

that's what I'm gonna plan on too!

thanks so much for all your help!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ridiculous,

Be very careful about watering the Sansevieria. This plant will rot if the soil is too heavy and watered too frequently. They are almost indestructible other than that. I have a group of these planted in an extremely coarse, open mix and I water it very infrequently.

Norm

Ridiculous

Thanks for the tip norm!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I had a sanseveria I was caretaker of for about 10 yrs (it came with the house when I moved in and I left it behind when I moved out!). It was in a little pot about 8" long, 3" wide, and maybe 4" deep. It sat on an east facing, kind of shaded window sill. I never in all that time did anything to it except water it occasionally. NO fertilizer added. The thing just kept getting bigger and bigger and putting out more and more spikes so the little pot was fuller and fuller! I think they are kind of ugly, but I kept it as a kind of science experiment ... the creation of vegetable matter from air, water, a minimal amount of sunshine, and a teeny amount of infertile terrible looking dirt...

Amazing!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ridiculous wrote:Thanks for the tip norm!!
You're welcome. In looking at your snake plant again I am concerned about the drainage, or perhaps lack of it. My planting used to be much larger and at first it was fine. Then gradually, despite a rather gritty mix and judicious watering, it began to decline.

At first I was at a loss but a closer inspection showed that my pot lacked feet (I mostly do bonsai and all proper bonsai pots have feet) and the one, rather large, drainage hole was clogged. The problem stemmed from having the pot sitting on a flat surface and over time enough sludge accumulated in the bottom of the pot to clog the hole.

I was forced to re-pot and downsize, using a pot with plenty of extra holes drilled low on the pot along the sides. At the time I used an even coarser mix to ensure optimum drainage.

Norm

applestar
Mod

rainbowgardener wrote: I think they are kind of ugly, but I kept it as a kind of science experiment
:lol: I think that describes the growing experience re: this plant for a lot of us, myself included :wink: Nothing kills it, we give it minimal attention and the least amount of light, and it's boring... but, as it turns out, if you give it enough love, it flowers; and, belonging to the Agave family, it has sweetly scented blossoms that are stronger during the evening hours to attract night flying pollinators. I'm tempted to get a baby plant (My mom has one that I could bum some offsets from 8) ) but am concerned about my kitties taking bites out of it, so maybe I won't. :?

Have yours flowered, Gnome?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I didn't know that! Maybe I would have tried harder. Mine never flowered, but as noted, it was totally neglected.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

AS,

No mine have never flowered even though I do take them outside during the summer where they get a little more attention. Slightly more frequent watering, better light and an occasional shot of whatever I may be using for fertilizer at the time.

Norm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”