Vincent Barry
Newly Registered

Starting seeds indoors - sprout, but fail to leaf-out

Multiple attempts to start vegetable and/or flower seeds indoors have failed me. Instant-peat pots, soil-mix in egg-cartons (paper & foam), small pots, trays, have all been tried. Tomatoes, beans, cilantro, morning-glory, etc.

Some minor successes, but usually they sprout, shoot-up 3-6 inches and experience trouble standing. I use toothpicks or sticks for support which helps. The stalks are typically too thin and the baby leaves almost never are replaced by true leaves. Thickening of the stalks is elusive. Eventually they just die-off. :cry: What am I missing?

Clearly they are too frail for moving outdoors until they are more self-supportive (and wind-hardened). Cilantro was intended to stay indoors and produce, especially during the off-season.

Thank you.

applestar
Mod

1st of all Light. They shouldn't be growing much more than 1/2"~1" before opening seed leaves. CFL's or Fluorescent tubes 2~4" from the top of plants. Adjust the light upwards or adjust the plants downward (I.e. start on stack of boxes) as the seedlings grow.

Gentle air movement helps to grow sturdy plants -- anything from PC fan, personal fan, oscillating fan, humidifier+.

SP8
Green Thumb

Pictures of your setup would help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely agree with Applestar. If your seedlings are shooting up like that, it's because they aren't getting nearly enough light. I have 4 fluorescent tubes running crossways across the tray of seedlings, just a few inches above the tray, on for 16 hrs a day.

Also you didn't mention if you are fertilizing. You don't want to add any fertilizer until the little plant has a couple pair of true leaves. At first you want it to focus on developing a good root system, not growing tall.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”