yelf
Newly Registered

Golden Dragon Tree leaves going yellow and dieing

Hello all. I have a Dracaena Massangeana for about 4 months. All was going well, new shoots howing etc, but the leaves started curling and then starting browning from the tip.

I brought it into the lounge from the conservatory _due to temp dropping) but if anhthing its got worse.

Its not in a draught and I do mist the leaves.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Overwatering can eventually lead to root rot, which causes the leaves to dry and die. It's a more common problem than underwatering, which produces the same symptoms. People seem to react to dry-looking leaves by thinking the plant needs more water, which is not always the case. Allow the soil to dry down to a depth of 1/2 inch between waterings. Dig your fingertip into the soil to test it for dryness.

Another possibility is that the plant is root bound and cannot absorb enough water from the soil to support the top growth. The top growth begins to turn brown and become dry. More water won't solve the problem. It just leads to root rot. So, is the plant still in the same pot it was in when you purchased it? If so, have you knocked it out of the pot to see if it's root bound and needs a larger container?

Never allow the plant to stand in water that has collected in its drainage saucer/tray.

Those are the most common causes of leaf tips drying, despite otherwise good care.

HTH! :)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

High levels of salt in the soil can also kill leafs. Try to flush the soil, or replace it.

yelf
Newly Registered

Thank you

"Allow the soil to dry down to a depth of 1/2 inch between waterings."

This may seem obvious to you - but can you please exand a bit more on what this means?

I am now sure I have oveer watered and (unkowingly) let it stand in water. will it contibue ti die, or is it salvageable?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The surface of the soil in a container will dry long before the soil deeper down where the roots are. If you just go by the appearance of the surface of the soil, you will probably overwater the plant. To determine the proper time to water, use the tip of one of your fingers to dig down about 1/2 inch below the surface of the soil. If the soil is dry to that depth, then it's time to give the plant some water.

Always water thoroughly, giving the root ball a good soaking. Make sure the water runs freely out of the drainage holes on the bottom of the pot. Allow all excess water to drain out, before placing the pot back in its sauce or tray.

It's a good idea to soak the plant once in awhile, about every month or two. Place the entire plant, pot and all, in a container that will hold water. The container should be tall enough so that the water will be over the rim of the plant pot. (You may need to weight the plant down with a few rocks, to keep it submerged in the water.) Allow it to stay there until no more bubbles come from the surface of the soil. Then remove it from the water and let it drain thoroughly.

As to whether your plant will survive or not, it all depends on the extent of the damage the roots have suffered. If the majority of the roots are healthy, the plant may continue to lose a few more leaves, and then begin to grow again. If most of the roots are dead, then the plant is not too likely to survive.

yelf
Newly Registered

thats great, thank you

19ashe86

are the limbs wilting/bending over along wiht the leaves falling off darastically fast? thats the problem I have with my regular dragon tree.. I'm afraid its dead :( mine I mean not yours :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”