earth

CHANGED MY SETTING - UPDATE!!Any suggestions on this setting

I planted few flower seeds..this is the first time I am trying to start seeds indoors plus also the first time I am using potting soil instead of potting mix & also the first time I am using any extra light :)
I am posting the pictures of my setup...it is very very small..just 16 plant starters- Now few questions:
1) I am using a regular lamp - do I need to change the bulb to florescent one & is this size o.k for 16 planters?
2) I have covered the seeds with plastic with no holes... littles air is able to pass but still see a lot of moisture droplets on top of the small containers... should I remove the plastic, make holes or leave it as it is?
3) Added no fertilizer yet...just the potting soil which had peat, sand and forest compost (I do see a lot of wood chips in it!! )
4)I plant to water every week by putting them in tray filled with water- how much time is sufficient for this method of watering?
5)anything else u would like to advise.

THANKS!! :D

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/4276396935_e068227f8a_m.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/4276396753_5f13cf7c25_m.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4277142174_b17f4f7977_m.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4277141766_90767a9b10_m.jpg[/img]
Last edited by earth on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I try to provide good air circulation around pots in which I'm starting seeds, to help avoid the growth of molds and fungi that can cause damping off as the seeds sprout and grow. I use a spray bottle to keep the surface of the soil moist.

After the seedlings have grown sufficiently, I switch to watering from the bottom. Watering from the bottom has to be done with care, though, because it can dislodge the seedlings from the soil, if it's done before the root system has developed enough.

I am, however, of the opinion that good air circulation is quite important. I would probably cover the pots with plastic if I were to be gone for an extended period of time, but not otherwise. :)

applestar
Mod

With a community tray/pot of same seeds (I.e. ideally expected to germinate at the same time), the injunction is to remove the cover the moment you spot the FIRST sign of a seed pushing it's way out of the soil. This becomes a bit more problematical when different kinds of seeds are planted in a tray or are being covered together. For individual pots, I often make use of clear beverage cup lids, cut off berry basket lids, take out container lids, and cut-off plastic bottles (use screw cap on/off to regulate humidity and temp), etc.

earth

Kisal wrote:I try to provide good air circulation around pots in which I'm starting seeds, to help avoid the growth of molds and fungi that can cause damping off as the seeds sprout and grow. I use a spray bottle to keep the surface of the soil moist.

After the seedlings have grown sufficiently, I switch to watering from the bottom. Watering from the bottom has to be done with care, though, because it can dislodge the seedlings from the soil, if it's done before the root system has developed enough.

I am, however, of the opinion that good air circulation is quite important. I would probably cover the pots with plastic if I were to be gone for an extended period of time, but not otherwise. :)
thanks..I immediately removed that plastic...
I had planted few "calendula" 15 days back.. wanted to check if they had already rotten...the seed was as is...no rotting and no sign of growth :roll: I know I shud not do it...but cud not resist :oops:
Last edited by earth on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earth

applestar wrote:With a community tray/pot of same seeds (I.e. ideally expected to germinate at the same time), the injunction is to remove the cover the moment you spot the FIRST sign of a seed pushing it's way out of the soil. This becomes a bit more problematical when different kinds of seeds are planted in a tray or are being covered together. For individual pots, I often make use of clear beverage cup lids, cut off berry basket lids, take out container lids, and cut-off plastic bottles (use screw cap on/off to regulate humidity and temp), etc.
yes they were all different seeds so I guess removing the cover was the right thing to do , thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the whole mini-greenhouse thing is often recommended and sold in stores, but the biggest killer of baby seedlings is excess humidity leading to damping off (a killer fungus condition). So I don't do the plastic at all, just keep the soil moist while the seeds are trying to sprout. Once sprouted they need less moisture and as people have been saying, good air circulation.

Yes you need fluorescent light. You want the light to be just a few inches above the little plants once they sprout. But regular incandescent bulbs give off too much heat, they would burn the plant up. And no, that doesn't really look like enough light to me.

But congratulations on getting started growing from seeds! I know once things start sprouting for you, you will see how rewarding it is! :)

earth

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, the whole mini-greenhouse thing is often recommended and sold in stores, but the biggest killer of baby seedlings is excess humidity leading to damping off (a killer fungus condition). So I don't do the plastic at all, just keep the soil moist while the seeds are trying to sprout. Once sprouted they need less moisture and as people have been saying, good air circulation.

Yes you need fluorescent light. You want the light to be just a few inches above the little plants once they sprout. But regular incandescent bulbs give off too much heat, they would burn the plant up. And no, that doesn't really look like enough light to me.

But congratulations on getting started growing from seeds! I know once things start sprouting for you, you will see how rewarding it is! :)
Thanks! I will change it to fluorescent light and try to put 2 lamps instead of one. One tomato germinated today - in just 3 days or is it some other plant - the seeds packet says 10-15 days :-? Below is the picture ...

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4280469044_821d2a1acf_m.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I can't see much in the photo and it wouldn't enlarge, so it's hard for me to tell. Especially with bottom heat, tomatoes often do sprout in just a few days.

Here's a couple photos of what the seedlings look like:

https://www.yvonnedevilliers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tomato_seedling_lg.jpg

https://www.tumbledownfarm.com/img/Garden/Tomato_Seedling_2.JPG

Those are the cotyledons (seed leaves) that first come out of the ground.

Once it gets its first true leaves, it will look like this:

https://go635254.s3.amazonaws.com/eatdrinkbetter/files/2008/03/tomato-seedling.jpg

Aren't they pretty!? :)

earth

yes, they look so pretty and must be such fun seeing yours seeds germinate into lovely plants...wow! I am waiting.
The seedling that is coming out doesnt look anywhere close to the pictures... I will wait for some more time to see how the first leaves look like!

earth

SO THIS IS MY NEW SETTING: reflector made with milk carton & alluminium foil..... is this one o.k Have placed it near window so that it gets natural light as well. Any suggestions on this one?

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4287754069_9c15cfb1da_b.jpg[/img]

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Lower the light and get it over the pots. And hang it from the celiing if possible(which might be kinda hard with a lamp like that, but worth it). I tried seedlings like that over winter and it didn't work very well. Moving the light and adding a fan will help tremendlessly

applestar
Mod

For now, with that lamp you're using, it would help if you raise the top edge of the box/pots even with the base of the ceramic socket (I'm eye-balling it to the top of the metal) That way the reflector you made can shine the light right above most of the pots. You're losing good light on the other side of the light bulb though. Maybe a wire closet shelving raised to the right level, insert the lamp socket through bent wires and screw in the bulb from the top....

The clamp on light with aluminum reflector that hendi_alex mentioned recently is a great inexpensive option -- I got some last year in the auto tools section of Walmart, also available at other big box stores. It has articulating joint that lets you adjust angles, etc.

earth

Thanks! I will change it again..... will come back with pics of new setup :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”