Decado
Green Thumb

Indoor Hanging Plant For North Facing Window

Hey guys, I have a window in my house (north facing, so no direct sun at all) that I want to put a plant next to, but not directly in front of. What kind of choices do I have here? I'd prefer something that grows downward in a draping fashion, if possible.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ferns do well in such situations, and a large Boston fern makes a lovely hanging plant. But how much light does the window get? Is the window clear from obstruction by buildings or trees? If not, you may have to provide supplemental lighting by use of a grow light.

Epipremnum aureum, aka pothos and devil's ivy, will do fine in a north window, as will Philodendron cordatum, aka heart-leafed philodendron.

I'm sure other members will have more suggestions. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you care whether it flowers, or can it be mainly a foliage plant?

For flowering browallia (aka bush violet, sapphire flower) is a nice choice-- tolerates the lack of light, drapes nicely, flowers off and on all season.
https://home.howstuffworks.com/define-browallia-sapphire-flower.htm
[url=https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/index.php?q=view&id=209&shape%5B%5D=SP&type%5B%5D=IP&uses%5B%5D=CO&light%5B%5D=2&moisture%5B%5D=&sort%5B%5D=common&sort_order%5B%5D=common]browallia image[/url]
But it is an annual, would have to be started over every spring.

Wax plant is a flowering tender perennial that should work for your conditions. Otherwise wandering jew is often grown for its brilliant purple trailing foliage, even though the flowers are pretty transient and not all that showy. Tuberous begonias would like those conditions and have beautiful flowers. They don't put out long trailing stems like the wandering jews, but they do start draping over the pot edge after awhile.

Those are a few suggestions, I'm sure others will have more

Decado
Green Thumb

So far I'm really liking the wandering jew, I may end up going with that.

FYI my window is about 3' tall by 5' wide and it's about 5' off the floor and there is a house there but the roof seems to reflect some light in.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”