bd

Milk fertilizer??

Anyone ever heard of rinsing out your empty milk containers and using the rinse water directly on indoor plants - in this case a wandering jew plant?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't do it. Not because there's anything horribly wrong with it, but I wouldn't want to risk the smell of sour milk inside my home. A container plant is not a working compost pile, after all, nor does it get the kind of ventilation outdoor plants receive. JMO, though. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Milk is not really a fertilizer. What diluted milk (I.e. your rinse water) is, is a good treatment for fungal infections in plants. If you type milk AND fungus into the Search the Forum keyword box, you will find a ton of information about it.

But Kisal is right about the smell. I used the milk treatment on my tomato plants this past summer when they got some kind of blight. It worked like a charm, but they didn't smell very nice for awhile. Not a big deal for outdoors plants, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it indoors.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Trust me, the smell is not pretty! I had to spray my indoor plants for a fungus and they reaked for three days. I'm switching back to baking soda, worked faster and didn't smell.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”