Jake L.

Is this a Good Potting Soil Mix for Herbs?

I'm trying to come up with a good potting soil mix to use for herbs. Please tell me if you think this is a good mix.

1 part coarse sand
1 part compost
1 part leaf mold/humus
1 part garden soil

I don't have much access to perlite/vermiculite, so try to limit them if you are suggesting me a potting mix.

MysticGardener67

There is no really set formula for a good home made potting mix. Is really a trial and error process.

The ratios you posted are a good start. The only unknown portion of your recipe is your garden soil. The proportions you will need is going to vary with the quality of your garden soil. If you have a heavy clay type soil, then I would pull back on that amount and add with a little more compost/leaf mould.

you will want to sterilize/pasturize your organic components , the compst/mould and the garden soil to remove any pathogens that may cause you an issue down the road.

Perlite and Vermiculite are simpy there to ensure good drainage in the mix. Course sand does just as well.

Mother Earth News has a great article on potting mixes including how to sterilize.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Potting-Soil.aspx

for herbs, I think I would add more sand and cut back on the garden soil abit. Herbs like really good drainage, somehere between what flowers like and what cactuses like.

Oh! here is another link to a document on potting mixes, a little more technical:

https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/potmix.html#ingredients

Umm, it would be cool if you could let us know how your potting soil experements are coming along...

MG67

Jake L.

Thanks so much MG :D!

MysticGardener67

YW Jake. I leave you with a little gardencenter secret... Every garden center I have worked for used a 50.50 mix of composted pine bark ( also called Pine Soil Conditioner) and milled peat moss with a bit of Osmocote slow release fertilzer when 'bumping up' the previous year carryed over stock. Of course they can afford to buy the good stuff LOL

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”