serial_killer

Hoya Carnosa

I have just received a small clipping of a Hoya, actually two but one is in really bad shape and I don't expect to be able to save it. I assume the best thing to do with it is to just stick it in some water till roots form then plant it? What kind of plant is it, what type of soil? I am a fan of Rapid Rooters, should I put it into one of those at some point? What about a rooting hormone, do I need to bother?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hoyas are among my favorite plants, although I don't have one at the moment.

They root fairly easily from cuttings. I usually root plants directly in soil, rather than in water. IMO, the plant suffers and there can be a setback in growth and development when a water-rooted plant is transferred to soil.

Hoyas are succulents. Most of them are vines, although I understand there are a few members of the genus that are shrubs. The flowers are known for their sweet scent.

The University of Florida has a nice article about them. Propagation information is at the end of the article. :)

https://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/waxplant.htm

Bear in the garden

Plant your cutting in the soil will make for a stronger plant, even a bad looking cutting can come back to make a nice looking plant. Hoya are a strong plant and can take some abuse and still bloom, I grow Hindu rope, fish tail, Kentiana, Sulawesli and a few other that still don't have an ID, but I take a cutting and pant it in the sold and they do just fine.

Bear

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”