a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Flowers leaves in container not looking good

I have these in a large pot and they've done extremely well up until now. I'm not sure if it's from the changin of the seasons or if it's a disease of some sort. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, and how can I get seeds, I think I found them but not sure when to collect them.

[img]https://i50.tinypic.com/28mk9ix.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i46.tinypic.com/2zg5ahc.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i47.tinypic.com/kegt20.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like a disease to me, a0c8c. Do you know the name of that plant? It would be easier to find out what the disease might be if you could narrow down the search for us. Just looking at the pics, it's impossible to tell whether it's fungal or bacterial.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

If I remember correctly it's Plumeria, but I'll have to double check. I'm about 90% positive on that ID

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

From what I've been able to determine using Google, Plumeria is subject to more than one type of black spot disease. Most, if not all, are caused by fungi. You should, I think, be able to treat it by spraying with a 1:10 solution of milk and water.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

It looks like a Vinca (major or minor, not sure); and a nice one at that. It's definitely not a Plumeria. :oops:

Vinca's are really an outdoor plant which prefer full to partial sun and need to be trimmed back through the winter months to rebloom in spring.

Although you may have brought it inside for the winter...? :?

Nevertheless, it should probably be cut back so it will resume new growth come spring. I'm in Southern California and that is what I did with mine which is in a pot on my patio. Plus, I repositioned it on the patio so it gets alot of direct sun throughout the day. :wink:

MysticGardener67

Often mistakenly called Vinca Major, though it isn't
Is a member of the Catharanthus Species

Is a wonderful ornamental annual, though I would personally consider itt more od=f a tender perennial. It will grow and bloom until frosted out.

the black sposts are a fungal infection that is pretty much harmless if unattractive. treat like Rose Black spot. remove the infected leaves, wash your hands before handling the 'clean' foliage.

Spray plant , including undersides of leaves with a solution of baking soda and water. one tablespoon to a quart of water with a few drops of soap to help it spread. If you want to add a pest repellant quality, a tablespoon or two of habenero sauce ( the watery type, not the chunky kind) to the solution.

Biottom water to prevent wetting of the foliage.

That shoud fix it. Umm you will have to reapply the solution about once a week to prevent infection of the new growth.

Next patient please. ;)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

It "snowed"(10min snow flurry) here when I wasn't around and the cold pretty much killed it, and the remaining live parts instantly got covered in black spots. It may not make it. I was quit happy with my $3 walmart plants, now I'll have to get more.

MysticGardener67

Just keep it happy, plenty of light, water when the pot seems light for its size, apply antifungals to keep new growth from contracting that blackspot and that pretty little Periwinkle should snap right back.

Oh and it won't hurt ti cut it back to about half size. This will reduce stress on root system and encourage new growth. Might seem harsh, but it works.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm doidn that tommorrow in hopes it'll make it. All the leaves are either dead from frost, or covered in black spots. Not a singe leaf untouched.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”