Susan W
Greener Thumb

switching to pansies

Fortunately fall has extended, and I have the opportunity to get the pansies in a couple of deck pots. But, yanking out stuff that is still sort-of growing is hard. I stopped by a small local garden center (where I work p/t). A regular customer there saying he hated taking out the impatience still doing for the pansies.
In spring it is equally hard to yank out violas and pansies to put in hot weather goodies. By the time I get to it (mid-May) the pansies usually capoot!
BTW, not sure what I got, but looks like a new variation/hybrid of violas. Smaller bloom than pansy like a viola and had a fancy name.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed! I hate pulling plants that are still growing, even though past their prime and I basically don't do much of it. I don't do the fall pansies... My impatiens (started from seed back in early March) still look amazingly good given that we've had several frosts already. Not of course blooming a lot, but still have a few blooms and some new growth and holding their shape pretty well. By the time they really look ratty, it's going to be too cold to be out much anyway.

I do plant spring pansies (and this year we had such a mild rainy summer some of them made it all the way through, which doesn't usually happen, so I have a few blooming now) because I'm in a hurry for that hit of color. I don't pull them, just let them die off on their own. I just find a place to pop the the marigolds or whatever in next to them. Once the pansies die off, the summer plants expand to fill in the spot. That allows for happy accidents like still having my spring pansies blooming now!

applestar
Mod

I smell all flowers before buying them, and am I ever so glad I do, because this year, I came across pansies that have wonderfully sweet scent. :D I can't run outside to check the labels now, but one is dark yellow (like yellow sweet pepper color) and the other is maroon. Although they both have the same variety name (I think) the yellow one has a stronger fragrance.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”