LondonGardener

Partial/shade loving plants for containers?

Help! :)

I want to put out a few nice big pots on my front step. Problem is, we have a few large trees in our front yard which block out almost all the sun. We do get a bit of sun late in the afternoon on the front stoop, but no more than a couple hours (and I'd say 3hrs max, might be closer to 2hrs).

Any suggestions for partial shade / shade loving plants for containers? I was thinking impatiens but don't know what else.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi LondonGardener! You are right on with Impatiens!! You don't have to stay with just annuals for your pots. You can use perennials in them, and either dig them into a garden for winter and then repot them in spring, or just treat them as an annual and get new ones every year. Also, there are bulbs that do well in the shade, that would have to be dug up for winter, so would be perfect for pots. Here are a few more plants that are for shade:

- Nemesia
- Fuschia
- Lobelia
- Cyclamen
- Caladium
- All types of ferns
- Variegated Lamium
- Begonia
- Godetia
- Columbine
- Torenia
- Oriental Lilies
- Phlox
- Hostas
- Daylilies
- Calla Lilies.

That should give you a few to choose from. I know it's hard to try and not just do the same old thing all the time, and want to try something different. Remember, even though they are considered perennial plants, they can be put into a garden for winter, and then repotted in spring.
Have fun!! :wink:

Val

LondonGardener

I would never have thought to put some of those in a container but now that I think about it, a big container with some hostas or something might complement a few smaller ones that have bright flowers in them. Good idea! Thanks. :) ]

Begonia, columbine and phlox sound good.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem! Enjoy! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's interesting Val, I had no idea that Day Lilies and Calla Lilies were shade tolerant. Actually, come to think of it, if memory serves so cultivars of daylilies are shade tolerant and some not. Very cool, thanks.!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yes Opa, certain cultivars of Daylilies are shade tolerant, and even the ones that aren't supposed to be, seem to do fine. I have several daylilies in shady areas that don't mind it at all.
Also, Calla Lilies will do fine in shaded areas, their optimum is in brighter conditions, but they still put on a show in shade. :wink:

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Oh good. My daylilies are in pots yet, but they get morning and midday sun, and afternoon shade. Think they'll be okay? So far they seem happy.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

They will be perfectly fine!! Not to worry. :D

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

I grew mine in FL in morning sun, afternoon shade. They were happy that way, but that's also a pretty hot zone.

I brought some of those with me too. They were a gift from my old neighbor :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It's neat to have plants with memories attached. I have peonies that are about 45 years old from my Grandpa's yard, old fashioned yellow daylilies from my mom's yard that are at least 45 years old, a rugosa rose from Ross's Mom, who is gone now(we don't know what variety it is so we named it after her ). There is lily of the valley from my grandpa's as well, and oxalis from my grandmother on the other side.
And of course, I have all the tea roses that I transplanted from my grandpa's yard to my rose garden.
Then, I also have a Norwegian White Pine species tree that was planted here by the previous owner, that they made sure to tell us was planted in memory of their grandfather, so I call it the grandpa tree!
I think it's important to have these collections if we are able as they are a part of our history. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

What I think is really neat is the fact that on the property where my vegetable garden is located are 4 apple trees that were planted sometime around the turn of the 20th century. Wow, if those trees could talk. My step grandmother, her sister and mother moved onto the property in 1930 and the trees were already well established. There are also three cherry trees and my stepgrandmothers mother is buried under one of them (well, her ashes are). A lot of history there.

My uncles dog is also buried on the property next to one of the dying walnut trees. So, a lot of memories.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”