treesleeper
Newly Registered

Thai dragon peppers wilting in cloudy weather

I am totally new to gardening, and I could use some help with my Thai Dragon plant.

I bought it full grown (about 12" high) from a local nursery about three weeks ago. I had it near a large window on the eastern side of my house, and it was getting plenty of sunlight and doing very well. The leaves were perky and green, and new peppers were turning ripe every day. So far I've harvested about 50 delicious, very spicy peppers from this little plant!

For the past week, the weather has been very overcast and rainy, so despite its position near the window the plant has started to look pretty glum. The peppers still look okay, but almost all of the leaves are wilted and falling off.

Is there any indoor light source I can use to simulate sunlight when the weather is dreary? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think pretty clearly your pepper plant is not getting enough light. Peppers are full sun plants. Even in better weather an east facing window (or likely ANY window) is not, in the long run, going to be enough light to keep it fruiting.

You will need to add supplemental lighting. "Is there any indoor light source I can use to simulate sunlight when the weather is dreary?" Sure, it's called a lamp! :) Any regular fluorescent bulb will do. For when I bring plants indoors, I have a floor lamp I bought cheap at a big box store, that has five separate lamps on flexible goosenecks so I can aim them individually at different plants. The plants are in a corner with windows on two sides, but I have the lamps on for a few hours in the AM and a few more in the PM to make up for short days, and sometimes all day when the weather is really gray. Makes a big difference.

treesleeper
Newly Registered

Whoa, really? I had no idea a lamp would work. Thanks! I really appreciate your help!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”